DSS Enviornment RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to set MSRS up in a lab for the University of Washington Computer Science program.We are running MSXP SP3 on DELL T3400s. Students do not have permission to write to the C: drive, except the temp directory.

I use a script to start vpl.exe, which first calls another script wrapped in CPAU to clear and then reserve port 50000.

When running as administrator, everything works fine. However, when I try to run as a student, I get the following DSS environment error:

DSS environment. You either don't have permission or the ports are in use. Correct the issue and try again.

Before using the script to clear the ports up, I got an additional error telling me about port problems. Since I have cleared up this secondary error, I believe I am just suffering from a permissions problem.

I have tried runas /user:administrator from my student account, and still get the same error. As I stated previously, if I log in as administrator everything works fine. I have also tried giving students permission to write to the Robotics Studio directory, but noticed that more places than just this are written to. I have also tried starting dsshost.exe as administrator, and then running vpl.exe, with the same results.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Currently our only option is to give all students taking the class administrator access, which is not ideal. Thank you so much in advance for the help.

Friday, September 19, 2008 8:20 PM

Answers

• The error message actually explains the problem, but it might not be apparent if you don't know what is going on.

Manifests must be under the MRDS install point. This was discussed recently in the context of running a Hosting executable, i.e. creating your own DSS node from a program. However, when you use DssHost you don't have any choice.

This is in fact one of the reasons that V2.0 installs into a per-user directory. It allows users to have write access even without being administrators and stops them from stepping on each other.

Can you please confirm that if you run a manifest using something like /m:"samples\Config\xxx.manifest.xml" then it actually works OK?

Trevor

Saturday, September 20, 2008 12:39 AM

All replies

• I appologize, I forgot to mention that I am working with MSRS v. 1.5.507.0
    Friday, September 19, 2008 8:31 PM
  • A bit more information that might help with troubleshooting:

If I run the command:

dsshost /p:50000 /t:50001 /v:verbose /m:"c:\temp\ShowRunningProgram\ShowRunningProgram.manifest.xml"

I get the following error:

** Invalid uri in manifest: file:///C:\temp/ShowRunningProgram/.program.xml. This may be caused by relative URI to a file not in the scope of the mountpoint manager... [it30102904:50000/manifestloaderclient].

Thank you again to anyone who can help.
    Friday, September 19, 2008 10:00 PM
  • The error message actually explains the problem, but it might not be apparent if you don't know what is going on.

Manifests must be under the MRDS install point. This was discussed recently in the context of running a Hosting executable, i.e. creating your own DSS node from a program. However, when you use DssHost you don't have any choice.

This is in fact one of the reasons that V2.0 installs into a per-user directory. It allows users to have write access even without being administrators and stops them from stepping on each other.

Can you please confirm that if you run a manifest using something like /m:"samples\Config\xxx.manifest.xml" then it actually works OK?

Trevor

Saturday, September 20, 2008 12:39 AM