Setting Up Our Own Business RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

I would like some advice on the hardware architecture issues of working for ourselves as a web developers. I am currently working for a development company and we make many asp.net 2.0 web applications using visual studio 2005 professional, sql server 2005 and iis.

The development team have just realised that we have been lied to for many months and so we are all now out of the job, but I don't need to go into this.

As we have experience in developing websites with content management with login locations and management for our customer's we would like to continue on our own. We have customer's but we do not have the resources that we had in the office.

I have been looking into visual studio 2008, sql 2005 express and it seems that we can get lots of free alternatives. Can anyone tell me whether I need my own server runnning iis or if there are cheaper solutions.

We would all appreciate it if anyone could discuss the options of a cheap start where we can create these types of apps again and deploy them (this is my main concern) until we can save up enough for our own server with sql server and all of the expensive tools.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help us all,

Danny

Sunday, February 3, 2008 1:14 PM

Answers

• I now know that we are fine to use sql express and visual studio (free edition) to develop our applications but it seems the problem comes with deployment as most of the apps we develop use ssl to secure credit card details and obviously an ssl requires its own ip address.

I think we have solved this now, we just need to find a cheap solution for lots of ip addresses for our clients apps!
    Monday, February 4, 2008 11:25 AM