none
Form1.cs [Design] nowhere to be found! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've recently restarted using Visual Studio (C#) for my programs, and since then, I've encountered a pretty big problem: I can't find the [Design] window anywhere. It's a little annoying because it's the most important window in this program. I would really like to know what's going on and how to solve this problem.

Thank you in advance!

• Moved by CoolDadTx Monday, October 21, 2019 1:55 PM Winforms related
    Friday, October 18, 2019 2:23 PM

All replies

• Under the view menu, select "Show all files" then see if the file/form designer file is visible under Solution Explorer. If it now shows and didn't before right click and select "Include". If still not there show how it has been deleted, if you have not empty your recycle bin see if it's there.

Note: There is a very good reason to use some type of source control, at the very least create a GitHub repository.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

StackOverFlow
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange

Friday, October 18, 2019 2:32 PM
  • If there is any possibility that the type of project has changed then that is a possible cause.

Something else that is not clear is if you have been able to use design view for any project after installation of the current installation of Visual Studio.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Friday, October 18, 2019 6:02 PM
  • I already tried to find it by showing all files, but it didn't work
    • Edited by Darkhell59 Sunday, October 20, 2019 1:58 PM
    Sunday, October 20, 2019 1:27 PM
  • Hi Darkhell59,

Thank you for posting here.

I want to know, if the target program is a .net Core program.

If so, you can try to refer to this link:

Introducing .NET Core Windows Forms Designer Preview 1

If not, please recreate your winforms application.

Best regards,

Timon

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 21, 2019 9:49 AM
  • So what opens up when you double click the `Form1.cs` file in Solution Explorer? If it opens the code then the subtype of the file isn't set to `Designer` which is what the designer expects. As Timon mentioned, if you created a .NET Core app then the designer isn't ready for prime time yet. If you're using .NET Framework then it should open but only if you have the desktop workload installed. Assuming you were able to create a Windows Forms (.NET Framework) app then this would be correct.

Michael Taylor http://www.michaeltaylorp3.net

Monday, October 21, 2019 1:55 PM