none
NextStage Pro - Realtime Camera Tracking for Kinect RRS feed

• General discussion

• For the past year I’ve been developing an application called NextStage. NextStage turns the Kinect V2 into a realtime virtual production camera, by tracking retroreflective markers in a scene.

More information can be found at NextStagePro.com and in the video below:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ejqF-p2T2FI

This is full 6 degree of freedom tracking running in realtime. Compared to the 6 dof tracking in Kinect fusion, it does take more time to set up the markers. However it can track over flat surfaces, is less processor intensive and doesn’t require a powerful GPU like fusion, can handle fast motion, dynamic objects in the scene, and doesn’t have the same drift errors that fusion can have.

I know people don't normally post their applications on this form, but I think there are some features relevant to Kinect developers and enthusiast.

There are two versions of NextStage, and NextStage Pro can stream the tracking data out to other applications using the OSC framework. This stream includes the Kinect’s position in meters, quaternion rotation, euler rotation, and the Kinect timestamp. Since multiple applications can access the Kinect at once, you can run NextStage in the background and stream the data out to your own Kinect project.

The marker sets that NextStage uses to track markers can also be shared between installations of NextStage. This can be used to very quickly calculate the difference in position and rotations between multiple Kinects.

I’ve been developing this application pretty much in a vacuum, but I’m very excited to finally get it out into the world. Please let me know if you have any questions, comments or concerns.

• Edited by sam598 Monday, July 20, 2015 3:53 PM
    Monday, July 20, 2015 3:52 PM

All replies

• Nice work, and great to see an app that's using the sensor in a novel way!

Brekel

Monday, July 20, 2015 10:56 PM
  • I agree with Mr. Brekel...

Nice work indeed. I tried to download the beta and it's yielding an error on the page right now. I'd like to test it out if you don't mind.

Sr. Enterprise Architect | Trainer | Consultant | MCT | MCSD | MCPD | SharePoint TS | MS Virtual TS |Windows 8 App Store Developer | Linux Gentoo Geek | Raspberry Pi Owner | Micro .Net Developer | Kinect For Windows Device Developer |blog: http://dgoins.wordpress.com

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 3:53 PM
  • Thanks Dwight

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience, a few people have been having issues downloading the lite version. I think I've fixed it, but if you're still having issues please send me an email at NextStagePro@gmail.com

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 5:10 PM