none
Update App on different computers RRS feed

• Question

• i read about updating my app but not quite figured it out.

i'm using a NSIS installation for a "proffessional" look.

how can i update the app? i let them download an updated app and thats it? i need to create a file with all the changes in my code?

if i create a checking everey start of the app to see if a new version availiable will it works the same?

shoud i use the clickonce insatallation instead of NSIS? (i tried to "update" my app and also failed)

and most important- will it run over the DB file of the user?

Tuesday, July 3, 2018 8:10 AM

Answers

• In regards to "and most important- will it run over the DB file of the user?", yes installer(s) will unless the install provides the ability to run a secondary utility to handle database changes where the utility would be your responsibility.

So if the database structure or table structures change you need to have code that first does a backup of the database, make changes then verify the changes. Similarly to changes if data is added, modified or removed you first need to do a backup.

And in regards to a decent installer, I've used the one Tommy recommended for desktop, WPF and windows services. Is it the best, no but it's free and should be looked at to see if it fills your needs.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

• Marked as answer by noampro8 Wednesday, July 4, 2018 3:50 AM
    Tuesday, July 3, 2018 2:24 PM
  • my problem with ClickOnce is that it installes the app on  the user folder and its not availiable to other users on the same computer

I worry more about understanding how my setup works and testing it and debugging it than I do whether my setup has "a professional look."

The answer to your questions is basically yes.

I think you should look into more advanced setup than click once and I am not sure about the database but suspect the same goes there.

I dont know what NSIS is.

I use MSI. That is the old Microsoft Software Installer and available as add-in for VS 2010-2017 now.

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=VisualStudioProductTeam.MicrosoftVisualStudio2017InstallerProjects

My app updates by checking a file on my web site everytime the app starts (user option). Then if a new version is available the user is givin the option to install it.

The update is a complete new setup with a couple security things and in the MSI setup it is marked with the upgrade GUID which tells it to replace the old version that is already installed on the system.

There are other installers available from 3rd parties etc (mostly cost $$).

There is a forum for setup and deployment questions.

PS MSI has options to allow install for all users or just this one and etc. The windows MSI setup is the most used and tested installer there is.  MSI has most options one could need and you can add your own pretty pictures and did I say it is FREE?

BTW It take a few hours to learn MSI as does Click Once.

Tuesday, July 3, 2018 1:18 PM

All replies

• Hi 

I think ClickOnce can meet your requirements, and ClicKonce is a relatively simple technology.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/t71a733d.aspx

how can i update the app? i let them download an updated app and thats it? i need to create a file with all the changes in my code?

After publishing to the server, opening the application will automatically update.(Need to set)

Best Regards

Alex

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 3, 2018 8:44 AM
  • my problem with ClickOnce is that it installes the app on  the user folder and its not availiable to other users on the same computer
    Tuesday, July 3, 2018 12:13 PM

I worry more about understanding how my setup works and testing it and debugging it than I do whether my setup has "a professional look."

The answer to your questions is basically yes.

I think you should look into more advanced setup than click once and I am not sure about the database but suspect the same goes there.

I dont know what NSIS is.

I use MSI. That is the old Microsoft Software Installer and available as add-in for VS 2010-2017 now.

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=VisualStudioProductTeam.MicrosoftVisualStudio2017InstallerProjects

My app updates by checking a file on my web site everytime the app starts (user option). Then if a new version is available the user is givin the option to install it.

The update is a complete new setup with a couple security things and in the MSI setup it is marked with the upgrade GUID which tells it to replace the old version that is already installed on the system.

There are other installers available from 3rd parties etc (mostly cost $$).

There is a forum for setup and deployment questions.

PS MSI has options to allow install for all users or just this one and etc. The windows MSI setup is the most used and tested installer there is.  MSI has most options one could need and you can add your own pretty pictures and did I say it is FREE?

BTW It take a few hours to learn MSI as does Click Once.

Tuesday, July 3, 2018 1:18 PM
  • In regards to "and most important- will it run over the DB file of the user?", yes installer(s) will unless the install provides the ability to run a secondary utility to handle database changes where the utility would be your responsibility.

So if the database structure or table structures change you need to have code that first does a backup of the database, make changes then verify the changes. Similarly to changes if data is added, modified or removed you first need to do a backup.

And in regards to a decent installer, I've used the one Tommy recommended for desktop, WPF and windows services. Is it the best, no but it's free and should be looked at to see if it fills your needs.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

• Marked as answer by noampro8 Wednesday, July 4, 2018 3:50 AM
    Tuesday, July 3, 2018 2:24 PM
  • I'll give msi a try but I have to wonder why it's V0.8.8?  Is it buggy
    Wednesday, July 4, 2018 4:29 AM