How do I find the share capabilities of target apps?

Question

• How do I find the share capabilities of target apps?

Is there a way to find out what a share target will accept?

For example, if I share a picture, the Mail app does not take it as an attachment. It also doesn't take the Text I set.

How can I find out what it and other apps will take, other than trial and error?

Thanks!

Alex

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 3:46 PM

Answers

All replies

• Apps only publish if they share or not. The specific types they accept are provided at runtime.

Your app should provide data in all reasonable formats. It cannot know what share target the user will choose or how that target will use the data.

--Rob

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 4:19 PM
  • That may be so, but it reflects badly on my app.

If a user can take a picture and share it to their skydrive, but the mail app doesn't take it, they will come back and report it as a bug in MY app - not mail.

Also, I just figured out that the mail app ignores the Text I set if I also send a URL. If I don't send the URL, it takes the text. Weird!

There should be an API that lets us get the list of share targets and what they accept, so we can inform the user what we can share.

Thanks for your reply!

Alex

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 4:37 PM
  • There is no such API for WinRT apps. You can get this information analyzing installed apps' manifests, but this is only possible to do using desktop tools, something like this one.
    Wednesday, October 24, 2012 12:37 AM
  • Thanks, Andrei!  That helps. It's interesting to see that few of the apps actually can be targets.

I think that as Windows 8 matures, this whole sharing thing will need more structure and published interfaces.

Thanks!

Alex

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 4:13 AM