none
Customize Drag-Drop functionality in Outlook calendar 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I have an outlook add-in to search for people in the database. After the results come back, I want to allow user to drag-drop any person to calendar/tasks etc. So far, I am able to copy persons info and drop onto calendar to create appointment.(on mouse-down event, I am copying the persons info and then am calling grdview.DoDragDrop.)

But, when user drops the search result onto his calendar, I want to open my custom appointment form. Can anyone please suggest how to open my custom appointment form when dropped on Calendar?

Thanks,
    Sri

Sramanu

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 3:40 PM

Answers

• I'm afraid that isn't possible.  You could intercept the Inspectors.NewInspector event, but you couldn't cancel it outright.  You'd have to close the new inspector and create a new one based on your custom form.  There's also the problem of detecting whether the new item was created from a drag/drop to the To-Do bar or not - that's impossible AFAIK.  Also keep in mind that there is no drag/drop functionality for the To-Do Bar in Outlook 2013.

Eric Legault MVP (Outlook)
    About me...
    Try Outlook Appins - affordable and easy to use!

• Marked as answer by SravanthiM Wednesday, November 21, 2012 6:34 PM
    Wednesday, November 21, 2012 5:39 PM

All replies

• I'm afraid that isn't possible.  You could intercept the Inspectors.NewInspector event, but you couldn't cancel it outright.  You'd have to close the new inspector and create a new one based on your custom form.  There's also the problem of detecting whether the new item was created from a drag/drop to the To-Do bar or not - that's impossible AFAIK.  Also keep in mind that there is no drag/drop functionality for the To-Do Bar in Outlook 2013.

Eric Legault MVP (Outlook)
    About me...
    Try Outlook Appins - affordable and easy to use!

• Marked as answer by SravanthiM Wednesday, November 21, 2012 6:34 PM
    Wednesday, November 21, 2012 5:39 PM
  • Thank you Eric!! I am new to Outlook Development. Trying out different things I can do. Btw, what is To-do bar? and can I know what you meant by no drag-drop in Outlook 2013? you mean, drag-drop is going to be disabled?

Thanks,

Sri

Sramanu

• Edited by SravanthiM Wednesday, November 21, 2012 6:30 PM
    Wednesday, November 21, 2012 6:26 PM