none
How to update/sync % Complete column value of Task to another Task List (with same Task names etc) every time user updates it RRS feed

• Question

• I have two Task Lists with same Task Names/Resources etc. One Task List is to be edited by users to change only the % Complete column of the task assigned to them. The other Task List is master file which must retain the updated value of % Complete column every time user makes a change.

Meaning user A changes the % Complete of a task assigned to him to 90%, this should trigger that the updated value of that particular task gets updated in the second Task list (acting as master task list)

Is it possible through any SharePoint solution which can run every time user update's his specific (allocated to him) tasks? How will I restrict users to update only the task assigned to them and How to restrict them to only change % Complete column

I have tried with SharePoint Designer Workflow giving permissions through Impersonation Step to only Assigned To user but how will I achieve item to item updation / sync between two Task Lists each time the user makes a change? 

Note: Impersonation step in 2010 designer WF gives error while publishing (https://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/259373/error-when-publishing-sharepoint-workflow-2010-through-sharepoint-designer-2013) and there is no option to iterate through data from another List and then copy/paste the updated value of that specific % Complete column of task which user changed
    Wednesday, November 6, 2019 7:24 AM

All replies

• Hi akg1421,

What environment do you use? Are you using SharePoint online?

1.About the situation you mentioned workflow 2010 encountered errors:

For now, SharePoint Online is experiencing a Workflows 2010 issue. Users may be unable to create new or edit existing workflows under Workflows 2010.

Users may receive the error(s): "Unexpected error on server associating the workflow," and "Errors were found when compiling the workflow. The Workflow files were saved but cannot run."

Scope of impact: This issue may potentially affect any of your users attempting to create new or edit existing workflows within SharePoint Designer 2013, under Workflows 2010.

Start time: Tuesday, November 5, 2019, 10:23 PM (2:23 PM UTC)

You can check this information in Office admin center. Click on the Health on your left hand and select Service health.

For this issue, please check the service health frequently and wait for the update. Thank you for your understanding.

2.How will I restrict users to update only the task assigned to them:

Go to your task list and remove all default view except "My tasks" and make it default. This view has default filter [Me] on assign to field so user can see only own task.

Or you can also create one site page and add this task list on that as webpart and apply "My Tasks" view. Later you can hide this tasks list from quick launch.

3.How to restrict them to only change % Complete column:

There isn't any edition of SharePoint that natively provides the ability to permission against columns.

As a workaround, you can choose to hide other columns.

If you use SharePoint server:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d5f5abb8-004f-4a20-915e-a5a9da0d2d94/how-to-restrict-a-user-to-modify-certain-columns-in-a-list-in-sp-2013office-365?forum=sharepointgeneral

If you use SharePoint online:

https://www.sharepointdiary.com/2016/04/sharepoint-online-hide-column-using-powershell.html

Best regards

Itch Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

• Proposed as answer by Michael Han6 Monday, November 11, 2019 8:32 AM
    Thursday, November 7, 2019 7:11 AM
  • Hi

I am checking your situation here.

Any progress on your troubleshooting?

Best regards

Itch Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 7:33 AM
  • Hi ,

If you have any questions, you can update them at any time.

If you think the replies are helpful to you, please remember to mark them as answers. It will help others who meet the similar question in this forum.

Best regards

Itch Sun

Friday, November 15, 2019 8:59 AM