Windows 8 Phone device connected/disconnected events? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am new to windows phone 8 app dev. Can anyone please tell how to identify if a windows phone 8 is connected/disconnected from the system. Please point me to any resources which lists the notification events.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 7:29 AM

All replies

• Connected/disconnected from what?  Power, network, something else?

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 7:23 PM
  • I'm not sure what you mean by "...from the system" but if you're talking about network connectivity then see: How to detect network changes for Windows Phone

... if not then please provide more information or try to describe what your looking for a different way.

-Eric.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 7:26 PM
  • Hi,

"Connected/Disconnected from the system" - what I mean is Connected/Disconnected to/from the USB Port of the PC.

My objective is to build an app which can automate installation of ".xap" apps into win 8 phones. For that before deployment, I need to identify whether the phone is actually connected to USB port of the PC.

Suppose for android phones, adb.exe can raise events if the device is connected/disconnected from the USB port of the PC. Are there any such events for win 8 phones?

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 6:57 AM
  • A Windows app can get an event whenever a device is connected/disconnected:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa363142(v=vs.85).aspx

This is a useful article:
    http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/18062/Detecting-USB-Drive-Removal-in-a-C-Program

You will have to identify whether the device is a Windows Phone. The Android adb probably works the same way.

Richard Woo
    Wednesday, September 25, 2013 8:40 AM