none
ReportViewer Control in VB.NET application, System.OutOfMemory & General poor performance. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

I recently developed an application that uses the ReportViewer control as a report display using the .LocalReport option, storing the rdlc files as strings inside a database and then writing them to a file before passing them into the reportviewer.

This method in theory should be fine, it is only once i begin to render the report do any performance issues come about.

For example i have one report that has approximatley 20 columns, 2,000 rows with five levels of grouping, accompanied with 20 graphs. Releativley speaking this sort of report should not be too resource intensive given modern days apparatus (3gig machine, dual core), yet the report throws a system.OutOfMemory exception while rendering (after some time, say 90 seconds).

Along with this reports of similar sizes and composition seem to be handling rather poorly, in that scrolling seems to take exceptionally long periods of time, almost as if the report has to re-render itself to display more information on the control.

I appreciate the need to do some performance monitoring, yet i am not sure how i can go about this like you would with a Reporting Services report (where you can obtain logs off the server), any pointers for this?

Ultimaltey i am sure it is something i am doing wrong as i can't imagine this control having a limit of such a low output value, any further information required please let me know and thanks in advance for any advise you guys can provide.

Regards
    Scott 
    Monday, February 9, 2009 2:58 PM

All replies

• Hi Scott,

I am a member of the Dev team. If you could zip up a generic repro project, I could take a look at it.

We did make some minor perf improvements in the 2008 SP1 release. If you are not using the version of the control, please try it out.

bradsy@removememicrosoft.com
    Brad Syputa, Microsoft Reporting Services This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties.
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 9:01 PM
  • Hi Brad
    We are in the same boat with a report that has some data and few charts using VS2005 .NET 2.0. The performance has been very poor. It is taking 2 minutes to complete the charts even if we have only 10 rows of data . I am suspecting issues with rendering .

Would you like us to switch to ASP.NET 3.5 or any other suggestions you have for performance improvements

Thank you

Thursday, April 30, 2009 8:42 PM
  • Scott
    Did you find anyting on this problem that you can share?. Looks like i am in the same boat as you are. The only difference is i am storing the rdlc files physically on the server . Still the performance is very poor.
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 8:45 PM