List column as Crawled Property not appearing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a column in a list. Can I expect it to be available as crawled property?

If crawled property is available will it be automatically mapped to Managed Property?

Scenario-

I have a list and I created a column (List setting and created a column as Single line of text called "Foo").

To see the crawled property, I ran the full crawl but did not see the crawl property for "Foo".

Can someone please help me out here?

Saturday, December 27, 2014 9:58 PM

Answers

• Hi Sakti,

If you are creating a Site Column, it will come in your crawled properties and an associated Managed Property will also be available.

However, if its a List Column (Created through a list settings page), after the full crawl is done, it should appear in the crawled property, but there wont be any managed property mapped to it.

As per your comment, I understand that even after full crawl, you dont see the list column in crawled properties. If yes, then try to create a list item with some value for the column (Foo as per you example), perform a Full Crawl and check. Now the list column should appear in the crawled properties. You can manually map this crawled property to a Managed Property.

Ram Prasad Meenavalli | MCITP | MCTS SharePoint | MCPD SharePoint | http://www.spdeveloper.co.in

Sunday, December 28, 2014 4:08 AM
  • Hi Ram,

After several trials of Full crawl, I am getting the Crawled Property for "Foo".

I am not sure why it was not happening earlier.

Monday, December 29, 2014 8:10 PM

All replies

• Hi Sakti Prasad Mohapatra,

From you post it appears that you want to know how to add managed property. Here is the step To add a managed property
    Here is one video resource describing how to Mapping a Managed Property in SharePoint

Hope these two link will help you. Let us know if you need any information.

Thanks!

Please 'propose as answer' if it helped you, also 'vote helpful' if you like this reply.

• Edited by Sudip Misra Saturday, December 27, 2014 11:24 PM
    Saturday, December 27, 2014 11:23 PM
  • Hi Sudip,

Thanks for the response.

I did not get the answer to the first part.

Let me describe the scenario again:

Scenario-1: I have a site column and using the site column in the list. I am getting the crawled property and it is getting mapped to the managed property. 

Result: I am good. Crawled property of site column is mapped to managed property.

Scenario-2:I have a list and I created a column (Go to List setting and created a column as Single line of text called "Foo").

Result: Here I don't see the crawled property getting created and mapped to Managed property.

Action taken to see the crawled property as given below:

1. Index reset

2. Full Crawl

Still for the Scenario-2: I don't see the crawled property.

Can I expect the crawled property to be available for created list column "Foo"? 

Saturday, December 27, 2014 11:47 PM
  • Hi Sakti,

If you are creating a Site Column, it will come in your crawled properties and an associated Managed Property will also be available.

However, if its a List Column (Created through a list settings page), after the full crawl is done, it should appear in the crawled property, but there wont be any managed property mapped to it.

As per your comment, I understand that even after full crawl, you dont see the list column in crawled properties. If yes, then try to create a list item with some value for the column (Foo as per you example), perform a Full Crawl and check. Now the list column should appear in the crawled properties. You can manually map this crawled property to a Managed Property.

Ram Prasad Meenavalli | MCITP | MCTS SharePoint | MCPD SharePoint | http://www.spdeveloper.co.in

Sunday, December 28, 2014 4:08 AM
  • For scenario 2, you should have a column and value associated for sharepoint items. Once the content full indexing is done, it will appear in crawled properties. then you can create a managed property. list column directly don't come in managed properties.

Thanks, Ashish | Please mark a post helpful/answer if it is helpful or answer your query.

Sunday, December 28, 2014 4:51 AM
  • You will see your new column in the "crawler managed property" only after you have entered a value in it, and it made a crawl
    let me know

Ste
    Sunday, December 28, 2014 4:22 PM
  • Hi Sakti,

Hope you have created a item and your full crawl has pulled foo a crawled property.

Thank you!

Please 'propose as answer' if it helped you, also 'vote helpful' if you like this reply.

Monday, December 29, 2014 2:12 AM
  • Hi Sakti,

For Scenario-2,

i. You have to create a item by using that list column

ii. Run full crawl[Make sure your sitecollection url listed in the search content source].If yout sitecollection not listed you can edit the search content source and mention your sitecollection url.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-in/library/jj219808(v=office.15).aspx

iii. You can see the crawled property as ows_xxxx once crawl is done.For examble if your column name is "Mylistcolumn" then your crawled property will be ows_Mylistcolumn

iv. You can create a new managed property to bind your crawled property or you can use OOB managed property to bind it.

Please let us know if you need any help for further.

Whenever you see a reply and if you think is helpful, click "Alternate TextVote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the question of the thread, click "Alternate TextMark As Answer

Monday, December 29, 2014 6:47 AM
  • Hi Ram,

After several trials of Full crawl, I am getting the Crawled Property for "Foo".

I am not sure why it was not happening earlier.

Monday, December 29, 2014 8:10 PM
  • Hi Mohamed.

Thanks for your reply. 

For the line step ii. 

ii. Run full crawl[Make sure your sitecollection url listed in the search content source].If yout sitecollection not listed you can edit the search content source and mention your sitecollection url.

It is throwing an error "The start address http://hostname/XXX/XXXXX cannot be added when crawling the entire web application. Either select to crawl only the SharePoint site, or provide a hostname only start address to crawl."

As I had the host name earlier in the content source, I did not make any change. But tried several times for Full Crawl.

Now the list column crawled property is getting created.

Thanks 

Sakti

Monday, December 29, 2014 8:19 PM
  • Hi Sudip,

Yes. After several trial of Full Crawl, Crawled property for ListColumn is getting created.

Thanks.

Monday, December 29, 2014 8:20 PM