microsoft xaml to xamarin.forms xaml? RRS feed

• Question

• User234750 posted

Where can I find a list comparing the two xamls? It would be nice to know what is the same and what is different. Also, if something in one maps into something else in the other. And what is unique in each. I've been working MS XAML UWP for about 6 months. Now when I try to copy existing ms xaml into Xamarin.Forms I get tons of errors - or worse, it compiles and hits an exception with an obscure message. Thanks!

Monday, June 20, 2016 10:34 PM

Answers

• User103165 posted

According to the Xamarin guys that is exactly why they changed some of the syntax, so that developers would not simply copy and paste their layout and run it. A mobile app layout is something completely different than on a desktop so in my opinion you should rethink what you are trying to do here.

Also, the naming just didn't feel right for mobile at some points, so that is why they changed it as well.

There is this cheat sheet from @AdamP which is very helpful but it isn't directly what you asked for. Help it helps a little!

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, June 21, 2016 6:26 AM
  • User76916 posted

@Will.Itrax - I also have a Cheat Sheet for Xamarin Forms Controls that helps as well.

I believe Xamarin also created something similar to that as well but can't remember where it is.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 6:37 AM

All replies

• User103165 posted

According to the Xamarin guys that is exactly why they changed some of the syntax, so that developers would not simply copy and paste their layout and run it. A mobile app layout is something completely different than on a desktop so in my opinion you should rethink what you are trying to do here.

Also, the naming just didn't feel right for mobile at some points, so that is why they changed it as well.

There is this cheat sheet from @AdamP which is very helpful but it isn't directly what you asked for. Help it helps a little!

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 6:26 AM
  • User76916 posted

@Will.Itrax - I also have a Cheat Sheet for Xamarin Forms Controls that helps as well.

I believe Xamarin also created something similar to that as well but can't remember where it is.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 6:37 AM
  • User234750 posted

@GeraldVersluis and @AdamP Thanks for the explanation and the lists!

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 4:03 PM
  • User234750 posted

As an attempt to keep things together for when I need it again, I found this site had a good comparison between the two as well: http://blog.tpcware.com/2014/09/xamarin-xaml-vs-microsoft-xaml-the-devil-is-in-the-details/

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 3:06 PM