Duplicate entries in Visual Studio ItemTemplate view RRS feed

• Question

• I have been experimenting with Visual Studio Item Templates and have placed the Templates in my Item Templates folder under My Documents.

As part of my development, I have been deleting and re-adding the templates to that folder as I have made updates and changes.

However, now that I have done this, I have ended up with several Item Template entries for the same exact content listed within Visual Studio when I go to add a New Item to my project.

Is there a way to get rid of these duplicate Item Template entries?

Monday, December 12, 2011 4:56 AM

Answers

• Hi vs2010junkie,

Please try to use “devenv.exe /resetsettings” to restore Visual Studio default settings. Then create the item template again, see whether this issue still exists.

>>As part of my development, I have been deleting and re-adding the templates to that folder as I have made updates and changes

And please make sure the folder you used to add the templates file is correct. By default, custom templates are located in: \My Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Templates\ItemTemplates\Language\

For example, the following directory contains custom Visual C# project templates:

C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\My Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Templates\ProjectTemplates\Visual C#\

Reference:

How to: Locate and Organize Project and Item Templates

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/y3kkate1.aspx

If you still have any further concern about this issue, please feel free to let us know.

Best regards,

Lucy

Lucy Liu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 5:35 AM