none
Help. ICE has me cornered! RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Visual Studio Wizard ready for installation. I created a deployment project using VS 2010 and it includes a custom action that I wrote in C#.

The msi file the project creates installs just about everywhere. However I do have customers where it fails. So I found and ran Orca to validate the assembly and I get one warning, ICE83. I have found document on the error but I have no clue how to fix the issue.

I have my "Setup1" project open in VS 2010 but have not found what I may need to change to fix the warning. My "file System (Setup1)" settings for the custom action, which is what I suspect is the issue since it is a C# program, is tagged as "Primary output from VSZWriter" (VSZWriter is my custom action project) and the type is "Output". But I don't see these "msi tables" in the setup and deployment project that apparently need to change.

I need to remove the "MsiUnpublishAssemblies" action from the "AdvtExecuteSequence" table. So where is that table in the Visual Studio setup and deployment project?

R.D. Holland

Monday, July 9, 2012 9:32 PM

All replies

• Since this is a warning, I don't really know if it is a problem. A machine where this setup fails is reporting an error message:

Error 1001. Exception occurred whle initializing the installation:

System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly ...\VSZWriter.dll' or one of its dependencies. The account used is a computer account. User your global user account or local user account...

From the message it appears that my custom action, written in C# using .NET 4 (the VSZWriter) is deployed but cannot be loaded. The setup project has "Detected Dependencies" for the .NET runtime and has a "InstallURL" that points to go.microsoft.com. It also says it is .NET Framework 4.

So my guess now is that the .NET framework 4 is not on the target maching though the user assures me it is. If it is not, does the setup project install it or at least use that URL to have the user go to the site (which I followed) and run the download action to get the runtime?

Or am I supposed to do something to get the .net 4 runtime added (merge module perhaps) to the setup?

R.D. Holland

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 5:29 PM