none
modify someone else's my site RRS feed

Answers

• Hi,

I don't recommend using MOSS Service account or application pool account to daily management, it would cause security issues.

You need to have the appropriate permission on the My Site you want to modify.

You have 2 ways to get the permission:

1.    Ask the owner of the My Site to grant the permission to you.

2.    Ask your farm administrator to grant the permission to you.

For this method, the farm administrator should add himself to the site collection administrators group of the individual's My Site, and then he is able to grant the permission to you

Hope the information can be helpful.

-lambert

Thursday, August 14, 2008 5:54 AM
  • you have two options:

1. Create a "Policy for Web Application" through central admin to give yourself full access to all the MySites.
    2. Make yourself a site collection admin for the particular MySite that you wish to modify. This can also be done through Central Admin.

Regards,
    James.
    Thursday, August 14, 2008 11:46 AM
  • Hi,

I guess you are the farm administrator of your farm, in WSS 3.0/MOSS 2007, a farm administrator is not a member of site collection administrators group by default.

So you can create site collection, but you cannot manage the site collection until you add yourself to the site collection administrators group.

If this is not the cause of your issue, I think you should have to "teach a man to fish".

It is hard to describe the security issue in one post. Fortunately, Microsoft released a technical article about this topic. Please refer to: Plan for administrative and service accounts (Windows SharePoint Services) (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc288210.aspx)

Hope the information can be helpful

-lambert

Friday, August 15, 2008 5:23 AM

All replies

• I believe the only way you can accoplish this is to log in as that person.  MySites are really their own site collections with the only administrator being the person they belong to. 
    Shannon Bray - MCT, MCPD, MCTS, MCITP
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 9:27 PM
  • Hmmm... you'd think that with the MOSS Service account you'd be able to change that in SP Developer even, but no dice.

I just want to be able to change a web part property for the user without having to "teach a man to fish" so to speak.  It's easier right now to just give it to him.

Anyone else?
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 9:32 PM
  • Hi,

I don't recommend using MOSS Service account or application pool account to daily management, it would cause security issues.

You need to have the appropriate permission on the My Site you want to modify.

You have 2 ways to get the permission:

1.    Ask the owner of the My Site to grant the permission to you.

2.    Ask your farm administrator to grant the permission to you.

For this method, the farm administrator should add himself to the site collection administrators group of the individual's My Site, and then he is able to grant the permission to you

Hope the information can be helpful.

-lambert

Thursday, August 14, 2008 5:54 AM
  • you have two options:

1. Create a "Policy for Web Application" through central admin to give yourself full access to all the MySites.
    2. Make yourself a site collection admin for the particular MySite that you wish to modify. This can also be done through Central Admin.

Regards,
    James.
    Thursday, August 14, 2008 11:46 AM
  • All of this is great information.  However, no matter if I am the site collection admin, I still can't access the default.aspx page as the user sees it.  I have to be logged in as them it seems.

I guess what I'm saying is... if you can get to https://portal/personal/jsmith/default.aspx without being jsmith, then you have something there.  I can create subsites all day, but I can't ever modify their landing page.

Lambert, what security issues are you talking about?  What would you suggest?
    Thursday, August 14, 2008 2:20 PM
  • Hi,

I guess you are the farm administrator of your farm, in WSS 3.0/MOSS 2007, a farm administrator is not a member of site collection administrators group by default.

So you can create site collection, but you cannot manage the site collection until you add yourself to the site collection administrators group.

If this is not the cause of your issue, I think you should have to "teach a man to fish".

It is hard to describe the security issue in one post. Fortunately, Microsoft released a technical article about this topic. Please refer to: Plan for administrative and service accounts (Windows SharePoint Services) (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc288210.aspx)

Hope the information can be helpful

-lambert

Friday, August 15, 2008 5:23 AM