none
Display MSG Details in Windows Explorer RRS feed

• Question

• I am interested in archiving old emails to a file folder on a server and dumping emails off as .msg's. Is there a way to populate the To, From, Subject, etc. field in Windows explorer with data from the msgs? I have indexing of msgs turned on in search options and tried to populate them manually using vb.net but to no avail. Any help as to whether this is possible would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Wednesday, February 29, 2012 10:43 PM

All replies

• Just to be sure - show screenshot of windows explorer with those columns (and maybe also file properties of single file on tab with those properties).
    Thursday, March 1, 2012 10:32 AM
  • Thursday, March 1, 2012 3:05 PM
  • i guess that data is stored in alternate data stream of file. So in your add-n/macro/whatever in outlook, read all data you want from mailitem, save it using saveas to specified folder, then open proper alternate stream and populate that metadata there. i have no experience of working with alertnate data stream from .net so you have to google a bit, for example: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/604960/ntfs-alternate-data-streams-net
    Thursday, March 1, 2012 3:20 PM
  • Thanks for the response.  I tried in the past to populate the fields using .net following the save as and was presented with the difficulty of some of the fields being read only.  I will look into that link and do some more research.  Appreciate the help.
    Thursday, March 1, 2012 4:26 PM