none
Store and execute application installer installer from Azure as in Shared directory

Question

• Hi all,

I have to execute a scenario where I need the flow in the following order :

1. I will have two program installer save in azure .

a) One is a application folder (contains exe and dlls). The entire size is approx. 2-3 MB.  

b) Another is a application installer (Contains Setup.exe and other ) The entire size is in GBs

2. The User is presented with a web page he logs on to. After login he clicks a link. This link has to download the entire folder (a) and save to temp folder and invoke the exe file. This presents a windows application screen. the user enters some more parameters into the screen and clicks ok

3. The application then runs and calls the application setup.exe (b) passing some parameters, to install the application on local machine. The setup.exe can run silently when called from cmd.

I have tried and it works from Shared directory (\\SharedDirectory\Dir\...) in my environment. But I need it to work from azure over internet.

I can create a MVC web application for the webpage.

What I am not sure is how I should use the files and what Azure service is most suited for my scenario. I explored Azure blobs as well as Azure File Storage but somehow not able to proceed further. I did search but could not get much details .

Any pointers and links should help.

- Girija

Please mark responses as answered if it helped you.. This helps others... - Girija Shankar Beuria

Monday, August 1, 2016 4:07 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting here!

Please refer the below link for deciding when to use Azure Blobs and Azure Files:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/mt617303.aspx

As of my knowledge Azure blob storage is suitable for your scenario. Azure Blob storage is a service that stores any type of text or binary data, such as a document, media file, or application installer. that can be accessed from anywhere in the world via HTTP or HTTPS. You can use Blob storage to expose data publicly to the world, or to store application data privately.

For more information about Azure blob storage please refer below link:

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-in/documentation/articles/storage-dotnet-how-to-use-blobs/

Regards,

Vikranth S.

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 12:31 PM
  • Vikranth,

I guess Blob storage is suited for my case (a) / (2) where I can download the exe and run from the client machine.

But if you look at case (b)/(3) I need to be able to issue command to the setup.exe present in azure. I do not need to download this. This will be huge (in GBs) and I do not want to download this. Imagine me storing SQL Setup.exe in that and trying to issue command to get it installed from client machine. The behavior that is expected is that how if this would have been stored in shared folder on premises.

- Girija

Please mark responses as answered if it helped you.. This helps others... - Girija Shankar Beuria

Thursday, August 4, 2016 6:48 AM