none
Creating mailing labels with the report viewer RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to see if one can create mailing labels using the ReportViewer control. I have done this but I could only figure out to have one column of labels print. My question is how can you create a report for the typical Avery three column label sheet (stock number 15560 or 5160 for example)? I have tried several things and at most I get the same data across all the columns. What I want is sort of what I get when I use MS Word using the avery label template - the data fills all the columns and the rows and not duplicate across the columns. I hope I am making some sense here.

Example:

Column 1                Column 2                      Column3
    Joe Cross               Betty Frankle                 David Horst
    3322 Smith Ave       5785 Charles St.            7744 St. Paul Street
    Chicago, IL              Atlantic City, NJ            NY, NY

Thanks

Ed Cohen |encohen@comcast.net

Thursday, March 27, 2008 12:08 AM

All replies

• same problem here, Does any one have an idea how to make this work?
    Tuesday, June 3, 2008 3:50 PM
  •  Hmmm this is interesting, I've never thought of doing this....personally I wouldn't want to deal with the support issue of getting the printer to line up, but that's not your question so I'll address your question.

My first idea would be to make the report into 3 columns itself. You can do this by right clicking in a blank area, choose layout, and in the top left is columns, change it to three.

Basically you now have three reports next to each other.  Adjust page size and margins accordingly that way all three columns fit on the page properly.

Then next I guess we could add a table control to each column.   And set the datasource to be the same across all three.

Next apply a filter to the tables that lets you equally divide the amount of mailing labels across the three columns.   So the first column would have customers 1-33, the second column would have customers 34-66, and the last column would have 67-100.

Here are just some off the cuff potential filter expressions

for the table in the first report column, it's filter would be something like:

Expression
    =Fields!myIndexInt.Value
    Operator
    <=

Value
    =FormatNumber(Count(Fields!myIndexInt.Value)/3,0)

-------------------------------------------------
    the table in the second column would have two filters which would be 
    Expression
    =Fields!myIndexInt.Value
    Operator
    >

Value
    =FormatNumber(Count(Fields!myIndexInt.Value)/3,0)

Second filter would be

Expression
    =Fields!myIndexInt.Value
    Operator
    <=

Value
    =Count(Fields!myIndexInt.Value) - FormatNumber(Count(Fields!myIndexInt.Value) / 3,0)

--------------------------------------------------
    And of course the filter for the table in the third column would be
    Expression
    =Fields!myIndexInt.Value
    Operator
    >

Value
    =Count(Fields!myIndexInt.Value) - FormatNumber(Count(Fields!myIndexInt.Value) / 3,0)

Of course, this is just an idea, not 100% sure how well it will all work  heh.

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 2:22 PM