Help files on EW2 error message RRS feed

• Question

• When I do a search or click the ? for help in the HELP Dialog Box, I get this error "Adobe reader could not open 'BROWSE 0.WEB.xml' because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded)"

I have searched the web & tried as per instructions to go In Adobe Reader 9 to Preferences>Internet>Web Browser Options - I have unchecked "DISPLAY PDF IN BROWSER".

I have repaired EW2 in add & remove programs.  I have done the same to Adobe Reader 9 & I have tried to use Acrobat  9 Pro to open the .XML files but get same message. 

I have had the same problem when I do a "Search" in the EW2 Help dialog box. 

If I just click in the help files then that works, but when I SEARCH OR CLICK THE QUESTION MARK (?) I get error message.  Anyone have this problem? Thanks in advance.
    Monday, December 8, 2008 8:36 PM

Answers

• There's nothing wrong with EW or Acrobat. Your computer has just associated xml files with the Acrobat program, which is wrong. As the error message said... "Adobe reader could not open...xml." Because Adobe Reader only opens PDF files and your computer is asking it to open xml, which it doesn't understand (as it wouldn't understand GIF or JPG or PPT).

In Windows XP, open up My Computer, click on Tools, Folder Options, and then the File Types tab. Scroll down to xml and click on it. It should show that it opens with XML Editor; if it doesn't, click Change... Then, click Advanced... to change the program to anything you want that edits xml files, such as EW (on my system it's Dreamweaver).
    Monday, December 8, 2008 8:58 PM
  • Your missing some registry entries. Follow the steps in this blog.

http://blogs.msdn.com/xwebsupport/archive/2007/11/29/expression-web-help-menu.aspx

Steve G.
    • Proposed as answer by griffinst Tuesday, December 9, 2008 12:36 AM
    • Marked as answer by Lori DirksModerator Saturday, December 13, 2008 4:49 AM
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 12:36 AM

All replies

• There's nothing wrong with EW or Acrobat. Your computer has just associated xml files with the Acrobat program, which is wrong. As the error message said... "Adobe reader could not open...xml." Because Adobe Reader only opens PDF files and your computer is asking it to open xml, which it doesn't understand (as it wouldn't understand GIF or JPG or PPT).

In Windows XP, open up My Computer, click on Tools, Folder Options, and then the File Types tab. Scroll down to xml and click on it. It should show that it opens with XML Editor; if it doesn't, click Change... Then, click Advanced... to change the program to anything you want that edits xml files, such as EW (on my system it's Dreamweaver).
    Monday, December 8, 2008 8:58 PM
  • Tried that Bill & if I associate it with EW it just opens up a page with this:

<?xml version='1.0'?>
    <?xml-stylesheet type='text/xsl' href='File://C:\Documents originalAttribute="href" originalPath="'File://C:\Documents" and Settings\ADMIN.DELL\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\MsOfficeHelp12\MOH35.tmp\toc.xsl'?>
    <assistance namespace="XWEB" UseOnlineContent="2">
     <title>Expression Web 2</title>
     <collections>
      <collection>
       <url href='File://C:\Documents originalAttribute="href" originalPath="'File://C:\Documents" and Settings\ADMIN.DELL\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\MsOfficeHelp12\MOH35.tmp\BROWSE2.XWEB.xml'>Welcome to Expression Web</url>
      </collection>
      <collection>
       <url href='File://C:\Documents originalAttribute="href" originalPath="'File://C:\Documents" and Settings\ADMIN.DELL\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\MsOfficeHelp12\MOH35.tmp\BROWSE4.XWEB.xml'>What&apos;s new</url>
      </collection>
      <collection>
       <url href='File://C:\Documents originalAttribute="href" originalPath="'File://C:\Documents" and Settings\ADMIN.DELL\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\MsOfficeHelp12\MOH35.tmp\BROWSE6.XWEB.xml'>Quick start</url>
      </collection>
      <collection>

Monday, December 8, 2008 9:10 PM
  • Your missing some registry entries. Follow the steps in this blog.

http://blogs.msdn.com/xwebsupport/archive/2007/11/29/expression-web-help-menu.aspx

Steve G.
    • Proposed as answer by griffinst Tuesday, December 9, 2008 12:36 AM
    • Marked as answer by Lori DirksModerator Saturday, December 13, 2008 4:49 AM
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 12:36 AM