GC RRS feed

• Question

• How can I monitor the specific time(s) that GC is executed for a .NET 2.0 application?

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 6:51 AM

Answers

• You can use Performance monitor and look at the .NET CLR Memory\# Gen X Collections counters.

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 8:55 AM

All replies

• You can use Performance monitor and look at the .NET CLR Memory\# Gen X Collections counters.

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 8:55 AM
  • Thanks for your reply. Is it possible to get the exact time when a garbage collection is executed by the framework?

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 2:05 PM
  • Where do you want to get that? From another application or from within the app where the GC runs? Do you just want the time or do you want some kind of notification where you can run your own code?

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 2:16 PM
  • I'm trying to debug an dotnet application which has kindof strict deadlines for operating. After about 5-6 hours of processing the application fails. An idea we had was that the gc collection could be running at that moment in time using all cpu hence not allowing our application to perform its necessary operations. The log file in our application is timestamped so I wanted to cross-reference it with when the gc was executed. This is a long shot.

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 3:30 PM