Problems with ASP.net 4.0 application after upgrade to VS 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• User467662895 posted

My asp.net application was written in VS 2008.  Recently I upgraded to VS 2012. After upgrade I tried to launch my application and it said I needed SQL Server Express 2012 - so i upgraded it.  Now, I am still having issues with the application.  Now when I launch the application I am getting the following error in the error list:  

Error 1 The custom tool 'MSLinqToSQLGenerator' failed. Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 10:21 PM

Answers

• User281315223 posted

It looks like this problem can be caused from previous installations and left over files within the Registry. The following links should hopefully provide some assistance :

• MSLinqToSQLGenerator Failed Error - Recommends removing a particular Registry entry (or possibly uninstalling some older instances of Visual Studio)
    • Custom Tool Failure Problem - Also discusses some uninstalls and cleaning up the Registry, as well as updating administrative permissions
    • The Custom tool MSLinqToSQLGenerator failed - Recommends running the "devenv /ResetSkipPkgs" command with the Visual Studio command prompt and regenerating from your code generator (Right-click your .dbml file and choose "Run Custom Tool")

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, March 28, 2013 12:22 AM