none
Summer Project: Trying to make a Kinect Portable and translating the 3D data into Audio. RRS feed

All replies

• My first thought is I wouldn't suggest wearing that on a date. My second thought is you need to mount it on one of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO0xNI3xpmE

Monday, July 25, 2011 4:52 PM
  •  

LOL  Yeah, it would not be great on a date, since the helmet gets heavy after a while.

And I am sure there is a way to get the Kinect on a exoskeleton, you just need enough Dynamic Underside Capacity Tethering Tape.

[Oh i did have to drill a hole in the hard hat for the Kinect's cable]

Monday, July 25, 2011 5:20 PM
  • Serious though the first time I didn't have headphones available so left off at that point and had to run out. That seems to have the potential to bring vision to the blind. Seems like the right skills at the right time. You can get a Sony 3D bloggie for like $250. Stereoscopic video is cool, actually digitalizing a scene is even cooler. So I think there's likely a consumer force to drive the technology down to a similar size. Hopefully you land a research position so you can continue pursuing the idea for a career and see it become an indespensible tool for the blind.

One thought is doing it both ways. 3D geometry to sound then sound back to 3D geometry. It seems if you can decode sound to rebuild geometry then a human can do it even better. Have you tried Surround headphones like the Logitech G35? If so do they help or are they mostly just a gimmick?

Monday, July 25, 2011 7:55 PM
  • I never thought about 3D Geometry to Sound and back, but that is a cool suggestion!  Hmmm, I gotta think that one through for a bit.

The Sony 3D Bloggie, would be a great size, but I think it only captures a 3D Images [basically a stereoscopic interleaved image], also I do not think it supplies depth data the way the Kinect does.

As for Surround Sound Headphones, in theory they would help, and I am impressed the Logitech runs over USB.  However, the last time I tried a pair of surround headphones I wasn't impressed with the results [but then I do not think they were set up correctly], but maybe it is time to check out a pair again.

The biggest concern is just the style of the headphones itself.   I originally tried 'closed over the ear' headphones thinking isolation is what was needed.  However, after a couple of test runs they blocked out too much noise. I switched to a cheep light set of headphones so you could hear the outside world.

And a research position would be nice, but like I joked in the video the economy does not seem very job friendly at the moment.

-Stan

Monday, July 25, 2011 8:43 PM
  •  

BTW I wanted to add a thanks to everyone on the forums that helped me figure stuff out.

So thanks!

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 3:37 AM
  • I wasn't recommending using a Bloggie, just using as an example of where depth cameras may go. You would need image recognition for stereoscopic images to match up points. That's what the IR laser in the Kinect does for it. I also wasn't recommending a G35 since I never used one. It just seems a good application for directional sound. One thought on being too silent is use the mics on the Kinect to mix in external sounds.

I think you have a great idea. It has a lot of potential. What you have seems useful. Put another 10-20 years in and you might well find yourself granting vision to the blind. Particularly if you can increase the complexity of the scene represented while keeping it pleasant sounding. The world sings. That might even have some potential for people with sight. Maybe some Feng Shui type thing. How harmonious is this room? Listen and find out.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 7:00 AM