none
Old guy teaching self programing. RRS feed

• General discussion

•  I'm turning 51 soon and have had VB and C, C+, Visual Studio loaded on my PC. Including some of the other free programing tools from MS. 
    Not to mention the SQL and libraries that are needed to make them work. I have tried several times to self teach programing to myself, but always get lost. I turn to forums but it still isn't the same as having someone right there helping you out. I was a Master Woodwright for 30 years.
    I got myself into a bad wreck and now I spend most of my day in front of a TV or this computer. My desktop is on a 42 inch flat panel LCD TV screen. I sit about 6 feet from it in a large recliner. Sitting up at a desk is just too painful. I hope that learning this will help me get a better grasp at understanding programing.

I hope you people will put up with some dumb questions from time to time as I get past the beginner stage.    So.

Hello world!!!
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 1:28 PM

All replies

• One of the reason I use this blog regularly is to get good answers to my really dumb questions.  Have fun.
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 2:19 PM
  • Welcome - you are in the right place. 

The main emphasis is having fun while learning - no questions are dumb and often help others as well as the person asking the question or posting their work. 

If you have questions its often easiest to help if you include your code in the post if it is short or use the Publish feature and give the reference for others to Import the code.

Good luck.
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 7:28 PM
  •  

That makes two of us :) , me too being semi retired with plenty of spare time on hand I am halfway trying to teach myself programming , mind you I've been using computers for nearly 30 years but never really had the chance nor time to learn programming until now .

First things first , let's face it it you don't have to be a genius to learn programming anyone can .

To start with , in order to have an understanding of how things work in programming you have to be somewhat familiar with the mathematical logic behind it , and once you have a grip on the logic the rest will be simpler and less complicated to understand .

Don't let the word mathematical logic scare you , before you do anything else , grab yourself an easy to read introduction book on math with pre-algerbra there are tons of such books available in the market , armed with the knowledge you gained from that book , you'll find yourself readily able to understand the programming logic and eventually programming itself becomes much easier to understand and learn.

As a starter in programming , forget for the time being C / C++ and other such languages , bad choice for a beginner they'll only complicate matters for you , instead start with simple languages like basic , once you mastered basic then you can move to other languages like C++ .

good luck and good bye.

Sunday, August 2, 2009 11:42 AM
  • Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone as I am also trying to "teach an old dog new tricks".

I found great lessons on the learning link and on downloading older webinars for "how To" information which is free, it seems most of the information on these site direct you to some form of paying but you just have to keep looking around and keep your your mind open as the info is out there it just takes time to find it.
    These webinars are great as they show you the "how to" step by step.

Good luck in the future and hope you get better.
    Monday, December 7, 2009 7:47 PM
  • Hello youngster,
    have a play with RBT709 to pass a little time then have a look at the code for some ideas.
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 2:02 PM
  • Hello,

I looked around for this RBT709. And I'm not looking in the right places. I also dusted off my old freshman algabra book. I used to be real good at algebra. I figure a little less rust couldn't hurt.
    dntknwhw2b = dont know how too be.
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 8:11 PM
  • dntknwhw2b,

If you are not sure what to do with the RBT709, you need to Start SmallBasic , then hit the Import button at the top of the SmallBasic interface and enter the ID (RBT709).

If this isn't the problem, then perhaps I misunderstood.

Thursday, January 28, 2010 10:47 PM