none
Display a x-headerfield of a mailitem in inbox view (VSTO 4) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

is it possible to put a new column to the inbox view to display a specific x-headerfield.

Something like:
    <column>
            <heading>X-Header field</heading>
            <prop>urn:schemas:mailheader:fieldname_xyz</prop>
            <type>string</type>
            <width>80</width>
            <style>padding-left:3px;;text-align:left</style>
            <editable>1</editable>
        </column>

if not, are there any other fields which I can use for this and which are unused by outlook.

until now, when we received a new mail, we copied the value of the xheader field to a mailitem property and displayed it in the folderview with the following schema
    http://schemas.microsoft.com/mapi/string/{00020329-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}/fieldname

Due to problems with other third party tools, I cannot use the mailitem properties on incoming mails anymore. So I am trying to find an alternative solution to the mailitem properties to display the field in a view.

Thanks

Mark

Viele Grüße Mark
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 2:15 PM

Answers

• The headers aren't separated into fields unless they are schema members supported by Outlook. That's not the case for any x-headers you add on your own. Everything else is all in that one string blob in PR_TRANSPORT_MESSAGE_HEADERS.

The only way to extract the x-header is to do your own string processing on PR_TRANSPORT_MESSAGE_HEADERS and then you'd need to store it in a user property or an "unused" property such as Mileage or BillingInformation. Beware of using supposedly unused properties such as Mileage though, other software may use it also and then conflicts will arise.

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007

"Wompi" <=?utf-8?B?V29tcGk=?=> wrote in message news:5ae9415d-a96a-4bf3-a8b0-eb87972a6687...

Hi all,

is it possible to put a new column to the inbox view to display a specific x-headerfield.

Something like:
    <column>
            <type>string</type>
            <width>80</width>
            <editable>1</editable>
        </column>

if not, are there any other fields which I can use for this and which are unused by outlook.

until now, when we received a new mail, we copied the value of the xheader field to a mailitem property and displayed it in the folderview with the following schema
    http://schemas.microsoft.com/mapi/string/{00020329-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}/fieldname

Due to problems with other third party tools, I cannot use the mailitem properties on incoming mails anymore. So I am trying to find an alternative solution to the mailitem properties to display the field in a view.

Thanks

Mark

Viele Grüße Mark

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    • Marked as answer by Wompi Wednesday, May 18, 2011 2:55 PM
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 2:40 PM

All replies

• The headers aren't separated into fields unless they are schema members supported by Outlook. That's not the case for any x-headers you add on your own. Everything else is all in that one string blob in PR_TRANSPORT_MESSAGE_HEADERS.

The only way to extract the x-header is to do your own string processing on PR_TRANSPORT_MESSAGE_HEADERS and then you'd need to store it in a user property or an "unused" property such as Mileage or BillingInformation. Beware of using supposedly unused properties such as Mileage though, other software may use it also and then conflicts will arise.

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007

"Wompi" <=?utf-8?B?V29tcGk=?=> wrote in message news:5ae9415d-a96a-4bf3-a8b0-eb87972a6687...

Hi all,

Something like:
    <column>
            <type>string</type>
            <width>80</width>
            <editable>1</editable>
        </column>

Thanks

Mark

Viele Grüße Mark

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    • Marked as answer by Wompi Wednesday, May 18, 2011 2:55 PM
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 2:40 PM
  • Hi Ken,

i´ll try to use the "unused" fields.

thank you for your reply.

Viele Grüße Mark
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 2:54 PM