none
Unable to "Create new Office Document" After Custom Master Page is applied RRS feed

• Question

• I have created a custom template for our SharePoint sites, and applied it. 

Everything appears to be functioning properly accept when I go to a document library and click "new document" then select Word, Excel, or PowerPoint.

After I choose one of those I get the error below. 

A few things to note:

• The correlation id doesn't show up in the uls logs
    • this does not happen with the default Seattle master page
    • I am able to create a new folder from the same menu

What did I miss?

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 4:28 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can also search for the ULS logs which are generated at the timing when you perform the operation in the library, there should be more details can be used to troubleshoot this issue.

A guess is that, some required JS might not get loaded or executed correctly when you perform the operation, thus, a suggestion is that, please create another custom master page based on the default Seattle master page, add your customization one by one and verify in browser in time, it should make you easier to find out the root cause.

Best regards,

Patrick

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by SharePointAU Thursday, February 23, 2017 9:14 PM
    Thursday, February 23, 2017 8:40 AM

All replies

• Can you look into ULS logs based on correlation ID?

This will help you and us identify the issue

Thanks

Kislay

Mark as answer if it helps you

Wednesday, February 22, 2017 7:09 PM
  • Hi,

You can also search for the ULS logs which are generated at the timing when you perform the operation in the library, there should be more details can be used to troubleshoot this issue.

A guess is that, some required JS might not get loaded or executed correctly when you perform the operation, thus, a suggestion is that, please create another custom master page based on the default Seattle master page, add your customization one by one and verify in browser in time, it should make you easier to find out the root cause.

Best regards,

Patrick

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by SharePointAU Thursday, February 23, 2017 9:14 PM
    Thursday, February 23, 2017 8:40 AM
  • I agree with both of you. Don't you find it odd though that the correlation ID is not in the ULS logs?
    I will recreate the masterpage if I need to, but I'm trying to avoid that. 

Do you happen to know what JS is required to create the new documents?

Thursday, February 23, 2017 3:05 PM
  • Ok i finally found it on another web front end.

Getting Error Message for Exception System.Web.HttpUnhandledException (0x80004005): Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown. ---> System.Web.HttpException (0x80004005): Control 'ctl00_PlaceHolderPageTitleInTitleArea_linkListName' of type 'LinkButton' must be placed inside a form tag with runat=server.    

Thursday, February 23, 2017 3:25 PM
  • All is good.

I was unable to pinpoint any real reason for the failure. After a couple hours of digging I decided to try and rebuild from Seattle, and it is now working.

Thursday, February 23, 2017 9:14 PM