Brand new domain controller RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

I'm new to Azure and am experimenting with it - building a few virtual machines and creating a virtual network I can use to learn more about IIS and powershell without impacting my own network at work.  The server platform I chose was Server 2012 R2 Datacenter.
    I used the 'quick create' option within my trial of Azure.  The machines were created on my test domain; I've installed the Active Directory services on the machine that will be my domain controller.  This will be the first DC in the domain.  After installing the Active Directory services (and necessary features), I now am trying to promote the server to a DC and get this message:
    "Active Directory domain controller for domain "My Domain" could not be contacted.  Ensure you supplied the correct DNS domain name"

How do I promote the VM to be my domain controller?  Is there some DC in Azure that I need to somehow point to?  Do I need to scrap these machines and start over and not use the 'quick create' option?

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 10:47 PM

Answers

• I likewise installed ADDS via Server Manager and the role and features installed without issue.  Where I was having the problem was trying to promote the server to a domain controller.  
    After I installed ADDS, a notice appeared at the top of the server manager window.  When I clicked on the triangle with the exclamation point in it, a message with a link was there stating 'post-installation tasks' were waiting and the link said 'promote this server to a domain controller'
    I kept getting the error noted at the top of this thread whenever I used the link that was in the the notification so I continued to research this issue.
    I ultimately found out that using DCPROMO in Server 2012 R2 won't work; I'm guessing that link was trying to use DCPROMO.  So I found this helpful article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj574166.aspx which gave a PowerShell command that promoted the target server to a DC.

Thank you for your help and suggestions.  It's good to know there are folks "out there" who are willing to help those of us that are new to a product.

• Proposed as answer by Susie Long Thursday, November 27, 2014 7:36 AM
    • Marked as answer by Susie Long Monday, December 1, 2014 7:24 AM
    Tuesday, November 25, 2014 4:04 PM

All replies

• Proposed as answer by Susie Long Wednesday, November 19, 2014 8:54 AM
    Wednesday, November 19, 2014 1:04 AM
  • Susie -- thanks for the link, that was really helpful.  I deleted all the services and VM's that I had and started over using the document from the link.  I copied the script from the document and saved it to my PC.  It appears the script will install the AD DS role and features but does not promote the machine to a domain controller.  It also doesn't install DNS
    Also, re-reading what you said in your first sentence -- how can I create DNS before I have an AD domain?

I've deleted and recreated the VM at least 5 times and each time, I get the same error 
    "Active Directory domain controller for domain 'My Domain' could not be contacted.  Ensure you supplied the correct DNS domain name"

If you're familiar with the script in the document, do you know if there's anything I need to add or tweak in there? (the bolding won't turn off, sorry)

I don't know what else to try but again, I'm very new to Azure.  Even though this has been frustrating, I can still see benefits to running a VM in the cloud.

Any assistance anyone can lend will be greatly appreciated.  I'm trying to set up one domain that will ultimately have 3 VM's; one needs to be a domain controller, the other 2 will be web servers running IIS.

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 9:39 PM
  • Let me add one other thing --- I'm actually trying to create a domain in the cloud that I can use while going through a book to learn IIS better.  I don't want the domain on my work network which is why I'm trying to create this domain in Azure.  Does it need to be an extension of another on-premis domain or network or can it run on its own?
    Wednesday, November 19, 2014 9:55 PM
  • I'm still experiencing the same error as above in this thread.  

I found this document that gives pretty close to step-by-step instructions so I went so far as to delete EVERYTHING and essentially start over following the steps in this document:
    http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/active-directory-new-forest-virtual-machine/

I recreated the network then recreated the VM.  I installed the AD DS without issue.  After installing the AD DS, I get a triangle with an exclamation point in it which states that I have a post-installation task that needs to be done; there is a link that says 'promote server to a domain controller'.
    Since there are no other domain controllers on or in this network, the task should complete; it should see that there are no domain controllers and realize that it needs to promote itself to that position but EVERY time, I get the error in this thread

Can anyone see what step or steps I'm missing that would continually throw this error?

Monday, November 24, 2014 9:38 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I created a domain in Azure VMs before, however, I install AD DS via the server manager.

Did you followed all the steps in the link above? If yes, I assume maybe it is due to the DNS issue. Firstly, please make sure that the DNS role is installed on the server manager. In addition, please run "ipconfig/all" at the command prompt to check the IP address of the DNS server, if it is not the internal IP address of the VM, then the issue is due to the DNS server added in the virtual network in hasn't been changed in the VM. In these scenario, you need to restart the VM to make the change.

After that, if the issue persists, please feedback to me.

Best regards,

Susie

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 7:56 AM
  • I likewise installed ADDS via Server Manager and the role and features installed without issue.  Where I was having the problem was trying to promote the server to a domain controller.  
    After I installed ADDS, a notice appeared at the top of the server manager window.  When I clicked on the triangle with the exclamation point in it, a message with a link was there stating 'post-installation tasks' were waiting and the link said 'promote this server to a domain controller'
    I kept getting the error noted at the top of this thread whenever I used the link that was in the the notification so I continued to research this issue.
    I ultimately found out that using DCPROMO in Server 2012 R2 won't work; I'm guessing that link was trying to use DCPROMO.  So I found this helpful article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj574166.aspx which gave a PowerShell command that promoted the target server to a DC.

Thank you for your help and suggestions.  It's good to know there are folks "out there" who are willing to help those of us that are new to a product.

• Proposed as answer by Susie Long Thursday, November 27, 2014 7:36 AM
    • Marked as answer by Susie Long Monday, December 1, 2014 7:24 AM
    Tuesday, November 25, 2014 4:04 PM
  • Hi,

Good to hear that and thanks for sharing.

If you have other related questions, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best regards,

Susie

• Edited by Susie Long Monday, December 1, 2014 7:24 AM
    Thursday, November 27, 2014 7:36 AM