Power pivot reduce IT created sql reports RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. Our IT team creates tons of random SQL created reports. Every time I want a report, I have to wait a very long time and it has become not worth it. I see power pivot as a solution to this, or I am misunderstanding the potential of powerpivot? In my case, I think I would just need a few sql queries that return tables (data dumps of certain data fields) that I can manipulate myself in the power pivot model. I can create analysis with a million times more flexibility than an IT created report (or at this point, even a data warehouse tool that is too summary at this point). 

A related question is where data warehouse lie in relation to power pivot. We have a tool on top of the data warehouse, but our data warehouse is very summary level (can it ever get super granular?) What does sitting power pivot on top of the data warehouse vs. creating a few broad sql queries that can be refreshed periodically. 

Sunday, October 2, 2016 12:12 PM

Answers

• That's indeed the potential of Power Pivot, but to implement this your organization should take care in how to provide good datasets to Power Pivot users, en who that will be. Not anyone will create Power Pivot models, there's also a large group of users who want to create their own visualizations but need a read-made model for that. This model could also be provided by the IT team.

W.r.t. your second question, my impression is that you asked this before - Power Pivot is not a data warehouse tool, but typically sits on top of it. Your DWH having a too high level of granularity is not something to solve with Power Pivot. This is usually done for performance, but with modern database systems it should be possible to have a much more detailed level of data. For Power Pivot, generally working with as low level of detail as possible is usually what you want, as this makes it easier to do all kinds of calculations.

• Proposed as answer by Charlie Liao Monday, October 3, 2016 8:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by Charlie Liao Wednesday, October 19, 2016 5:38 AM
    Monday, October 3, 2016 7:58 AM
    Answerer