none
Outlook add-ins in Office 365 OWA RRS feed

• Question

• I wanted to know when there will be a way to create add-in for web version of outlook. As far as I’m understand it is possible to create addin’s that will be available in Outlook 2016/2013 application but I’m not sure when those addin’s will be available in web page? I found some roadmap but there is only information about Q1 of 2016. Are there any news for that?

Sunday, February 7, 2016 2:03 PM

Answers

• We use Microsoft.Office.js version 1.1.0.7 and as of this version command button for web are not available. Current latest version distributed is 1.1.0.9 and I doubt it will be available there either. Other than this facts I don't want to speculate on dates; probably someone from Office dev team may tell you or just wait till the end of Q1 and start asking the question.

I would like to point your attention that Office Add-in cannot be "replacement" of COM or VSTO add-ins for Outlook as support only O2013 and up (some features supported only in O2016). So if you currently support older versions of Outlook you still need to continue support your current solution. Not everyone uses web ;)

As the final note to your reply I don't see any reason to wait for "Add-in commands for Outlook" to arrive. Every add-in can be invoked by user via list installed add-ins, which is available in compose and reading modes. To discover what other companies already done I would advise you to install a couple of add-ins from Office Store and see how it work out for their customers.

Best regards

Slava Ivanov

• Marked as answer by dominikj Thursday, February 11, 2016 7:58 PM
    Thursday, February 11, 2016 7:48 PM

All replies

• >>>I wanted to know when there will be a way to create add-in for web version of outlook. As far as I’m understand it is possible to create addin’s that will be available in Outlook 2016/2013 application but I’m not sure when those addin’s will be available in web page? I found some roadmap but there is only information about Q1 of 2016. Are there any news for that?

According to your description, as far as I know that Outlook add-ins support Outlook Web App.

For more information, click here to refer about Requirements for running Office Add-ins

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 2:47 AM
  • Hello Dominikj,

If I understand correctly you are asking about Office Add-ins (formerly Apps for Office). This technology of universal add-ins for Office (particularly for Outlook, as you asking) available for a while. Many companies already distribute add-ins through "Office Store" as well as domain distribution. The main idea is write one add-in which will work under every OS / devices Office supported, including Office 365 web interface. 

If you interested in this technology there is website for developers with examples, explanation, documentation and everything to get you started: http://dev.office.com/getting-started/addins  I believe everything you would require is just to create Office developer account and even if your organization does not deploy Office 365, you will be given place to deploy, debug and test your work as you have subscription.

Hope this helps.

Slava Ivanov

Thursday, February 11, 2016 7:01 PM
  • I just released that roadmap I have showed is concerning Add-in Commands (https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Visual-Studio/Connect-event-2015/308) and my question is about this functionality and when it will be available in office 365 OWA. Generally I wanted to migrate our company addin for managing absences that is made only for desktop Outlook to web versions but I’m not sure if it will be possible to display my custom page somewhere in OWA – when user will press this new command on ribbon it should display my view where mail content is displayed right now and allow user to add new absence or view list of previous one.

Thursday, February 11, 2016 7:24 PM
  • We use Microsoft.Office.js version 1.1.0.7 and as of this version command button for web are not available. Current latest version distributed is 1.1.0.9 and I doubt it will be available there either. Other than this facts I don't want to speculate on dates; probably someone from Office dev team may tell you or just wait till the end of Q1 and start asking the question.

I would like to point your attention that Office Add-in cannot be "replacement" of COM or VSTO add-ins for Outlook as support only O2013 and up (some features supported only in O2016). So if you currently support older versions of Outlook you still need to continue support your current solution. Not everyone uses web ;)

As the final note to your reply I don't see any reason to wait for "Add-in commands for Outlook" to arrive. Every add-in can be invoked by user via list installed add-ins, which is available in compose and reading modes. To discover what other companies already done I would advise you to install a couple of add-ins from Office Store and see how it work out for their customers.

Best regards

Slava Ivanov

• Marked as answer by dominikj Thursday, February 11, 2016 7:58 PM
    Thursday, February 11, 2016 7:48 PM