Automating the click of an input button on a target site RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

I am building a tool to provide advanced UPS search capabilities for my coworkers.  I have a web form that allows staff to find a tracking number for a package and click a link that goes to the UPS tracking page.  When the UPS tracking page loads, the appropriate tracking number is automatically filled into the text box.  I want the "Track" button on the UPS site to click automatically to start the tracking process.  The button is a simple html 'input' button.

To insert the tracking number into the text box, I am using a simple html page link (a href ="ups.com/trackingpage&trackNum=trackingnumber").

Does anyone know a way to make the input button on the target page click automatically?

(I am fairly well versed in html, but relatively new to JavaScript, ASP, and VB, so please give a thorough description of the necessary code.)

Thank you!
    Thursday, June 12, 2008 9:27 PM

Answers

•  

The sort of script that you want to write is called cross-domain scripting.

Browsers such as IE block cross-domain scripting because its a serious security threat.  Imagine a malicious page directing you to your legitimate online bank and then being able to read and manipulate controls on that legitmate page.

The answer therefore is no.  I think it may be best to trouble the user to click the button themselves.

Friday, June 13, 2008 7:02 AM