Steps taken to build a simple service to partner with a webcam RRS feed

• General discussion

• To Whom It May Concern:

I was having some trouble partnering with a webcam service, so as an exercise, I created a proof of concept service that simply partnered with a webcam service.  In the process I enumerated all my steps so that I could refer back to them later.  It occurred to me that others might be interested in these steps, so I thought I would pop them in here.  I hope it helps.

I am very open to suggestions and critiques.  I’m sure there are better ways and would love to hear them.

Thanks,

Dogulas

*   start VS2008

*   create new project

*   in New Project window:

*       select Visual C# -> Microsoft Robotics -> DSS Service (2.0)

*       provide name (POC_UsingWebcam) optional

*       location (C:\Projects\RDS 2.0\POC) optional

*       check Create directory for solution, optional

*   click the OK button

*   on New DSS Service window, Service tab:

*       modify the default namespace if necessary

*       modify Organization domain if necessary remembering to ONLY USE LOWERCASE

*   on New DSS Service window, Partners tab:

*       select Generic Webcam (not Webcam) from list and click the Add Partner button

*       check the add notification port, optional but recommended

*       click the OK button

*   in the Solution Explorer make sure the References have no little yellow triangles

*   in the Solution Explorer right click on the manifest file (POC_UsingWebcam.manifest.xml) and click Exclude From Project

*   outside of VS2008, move the manifest file to the "samples/config" directory under the RDS 2.0 installation

*   in VS2008 in the Solution Explorer right click on the project and select Add -> Existing Item

*   on the Add Existing Item window:

*       browse the folder that you moved the manifest file to

*       select "all files" in the "Objects of type" dropdown and select your manifest file

*       click on the little arrow on the right edge of the Add button and select Add As Link

*       if you get an error saying that the file already exists, try the steps for adding it again

*   outside of VS2008 start the DSS Manifest Editor 2008 from the start menu

*   in the Manifest Editor:

*       click File -> Open and in the Open window browse to and select your manifest file then click the OK button

*       you should see your service and under your service and indented you should see the Generic Webcam

*       if you do not see the second line try clicking the little box in front of your service

*       click and highlight the Generic Webcam line, you should see a small list in the services box to the left

*       drag and drop the Webcam service onto your Generic Webcam, this will add a new line representing the partner service

*       notice that this is the MultiDeviceWebcamService

*       optionally, you can set up an initial state on the right side, but you could come back and do this later

*       click "File -> Save" then "File -> Exit"

*   in VS2008 in the Solution Explorer right click on the project and select Properties

*   in the Debug tab of the Properties window select the contents of Command line arguments field and copy it into an editor such as notepad

*   change the command line argument "/m:" to refer to the location to which you move the manifest file

*   it should look some thing like: [/p:50000 /t:50001 /m:"samples/config/POC_UsingWebcams.manifest.xml"]

*   replace this new text into the Command line arguments field of the Debug tab of the projects Properties page

*   in VS2008 build the solution

*   if you have a webcam hooked up to your machine you should now be able to run the service in debug mode and the webcam light should come on

*   this is only the starting point - you now need to subscribe to the webcam service and deal with messages

*   you can use the Blob Tracker as an example in http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc998456.aspx

Friday, April 3, 2009 5:18 PM