none
C# DBF handling, Office 2007 environment RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have an existing app which needs to read the data in some old DBF files. I have found that the connector no longer works when i moved to my new windows 7 x64 pc with office 2007.

Previously on my old pc, at some stage office 2003 was installed that supported DBFs, hence i assume the connector.

=> What would be good is some connection example for DBF support which should work in most cases with a PC with office 2007 or later ?

I would prefer that my little utility does not need some extra package install.

Below is the existing code.

string connstr = String.Format("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source={0};Extended Properties=dBase IV", path);

string query = String.Format("SELECT * FROM {0}", table);

OleDbConnection conn = new OleDbConnection(connstr);

conn.Open();

OleDbCommand cmd = new OleDbCommand(query, conn);

OleDbDataReader reader = cmd.ExecuteReader();

DataTable results = new DataTable(table);

DataTable fields = reader.GetSchemaTable();

foreach (DataRow field in fields.Rows)

{

Many thanks

Thursday, June 10, 2010 8:19 AM

Answers

• You will need to compile your app so that it runs as 32-bit in a 64-bit environment. It's the Platform option (Build...Configuration Manager) and it should be changed to x86. You may need to add this option first if it isn't already present.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 8:05 PM

All replies

• You will need to compile your app so that it runs as 32-bit in a 64-bit environment. It's the Platform option (Build...Configuration Manager) and it should be changed to x86. You may need to add this option first if it isn't already present.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 8:05 PM
  • Brillant, worked a treat!
    Friday, June 11, 2010 2:23 AM