none
[UWP]Question about App Package Version - last (4th) nr

Question

• Any Windows 10 UWP app has ".0" as the last digit in its version number. Therefore i once assumed that "0" simply means "=Windows 10".  Although MSDN doc is telling "The last (fourth) section of the version number is reserved for Store use and must be left as 0 when you build your package (although the Store may change the value in this section)."

OK but when, how and why is the last (4th) nr. of the version altered?

Let's look at the last released versions of one of my apps.  I have build and released the versions

and those of course also show up in the "Package Version" section of "Installs" in MS DevCenter.
    However there are also those versions listed:

and I just wonder "what am i dealing here with?" - are these really physical new builds or just a clone of the .0 build with different number?  And why is this happening?   And how are those "special version releases done by DevCenter itself" compatible with HokeyApp (which is specific to a certain build nr - i can't track x.x.x.6 version via HockeyApp) ?

• Edited by wolfSYS Sunday, April 23, 2017 11:26 AM
    Sunday, April 23, 2017 11:23 AM

All replies

• Hi wolfSYS,

Package versions have the form: major.minor.build.revision

The final number is the revision number.

The revision number is reserved for the Store (VS won’t let you change it, and you shouldn’t change it manually). 

>>When, how and why is the last (4th) nr. of the version altered?

It will change if the package is recompiled in the cloud or if there are any iterations on the package behind the scenes.

Best Regards,

Annievia Chen

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Annie Chen-MSFTModerator Thursday, April 27, 2017 5:50 AM
    • Marked as answer by wolfSYS Thursday, April 27, 2017 1:12 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by wolfSYS Thursday, April 27, 2017 1:15 PM
    Thursday, April 27, 2017 5:43 AM
  • and what about HockeyApp version matching ?

I am unable to upload version x.x.x.<NEW_NR> to HockeyApp (since I can't build such a version).
    Therefore, users running version x.x.x.<NEW_NR> will not be tracked/handelt via HockeyApp ... solution?

• Edited by wolfSYS Thursday, April 27, 2017 1:15 PM
    Thursday, April 27, 2017 1:13 PM
  • Hi wolfsYS,

Package with version x.x.x.<NEW_NR> results from store recompiling in the cloud, which doesn't apply to HockeyApp.

You may upload the default version to HockeyApp as users acquire package from HockeyApp through sideloading.

If you still have any questions about HockeyApp, please post to HockeyApp Forum

Best Regards,

Annievia Chen

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 28, 2017 9:35 AM