Dynamic Data and NuGet RRS feed

Answers

• User541108374 posted

Hi,

May I know the reasons why? Most tutorials were based on Dynamic Data Web Sites instead

Sure. Websites are great for ease of development and rapid demos/development. However in a more professional environment and multi layered architectures it's better to make use of web applications because they follow the same way as the rest of the assemblies in the solution. This creates a more standardized way of working. Also in a website it has give me problems in the past that a non well copied file in the folder with windows explorer already added it to the site while this is not the case for a web application.

Projects come to be a little messy sometimes, cluttered with projects, code, libraries dlls

Websites also get cluttered up if not properly kept. Actually I like the namespaces better in web applications.

In the end it's all a matter of taste and what you're used to. I started in .NET 1.0 and then we only had the web application. It was only since .NET 2.0 that websites took over but there was so much hassle and demand that Microsoft decided to also include the web application again.

Grz, Kris.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, June 13, 2011 10:59 AM

All replies

• User1813417060 posted

Hi Steve,

Great job!

I prefer the filebased websites.

Sunday, June 12, 2011 4:24 AM
  • User-330204900 posted

I will start on getting the two I have done so far working on File based website next, maybe get them up today.

I just want to see where to put the most effort, as I plan to put all the samples for a Dynamic Data book I want to write up on a NuGet freed.

Sunday, June 12, 2011 4:29 AM
  • User1043796333 posted

How do you download from there?

Monday, June 13, 2011 10:08 AM
  • User-330204900 posted

Go to http://NuGet.org and follow the instruction to install NuGet Package manager then once you have NuGet Package manger follow the tutorial to get Packages and do a search for DynamicData (no there is no space) and you will see all DynamicData packages then all you do is install the one you want and it handles all the dependencies see NuGet In Depth: Empowering Open Source on the .NET Platform for more details.

Monday, June 13, 2011 10:32 AM
  • User541108374 posted

Hi,

What I am asking is do you want them for file Based Website or are most of you using Web Application Project for DD now?

Preferably both but personally I practically only make use of  Web Application porjects. Most professional users do so from what I know out of experience.

Grz, Kris.

Monday, June 13, 2011 10:38 AM
  • User1043796333 posted

May I know the reasons why? Most tutorials were based on Dynamic Data Web Sites instead

Web sites look better organized, you can only put your code and models under a specific folder. Deploying is easier too. Namespaces are better organized

Projects come to be a little messy sometimes, cluttered with projects, code, libraries dlls

That's what I think

Hi,

What I am asking is do you want them for file Based Website or are most of you using Web Application Project for DD now?

Preferably both but personally I practically only make use of  Web Application porjects. Most professional users do so from what I know out of experience.

Grz, Kris.

Monday, June 13, 2011 10:49 AM
  • User-330204900 posted

Same here Kris, the advantages far out weigh the disadvantages.

I just want to get some idea of what percentage for each.

The issue I have there is no magic for NuGet to deploy different bits depending on the site type so I have to build both. Maybe I should put in a feature request.

Monday, June 13, 2011 10:53 AM
  • User1043796333 posted

sjnaughton I didn't get it: you agree with Kris or with me?

Advantages far out weigh the disadvantages. Those are?

Same here Kris, the advantages far out weigh the disadvantages.

I just want to get some idea of what percentage for each.

The issue I have there is no magic for NuGet to deploy different bits depending on the site type so I have to build both. Maybe I should put in a feature request.

Monday, June 13, 2011 10:57 AM
  • User541108374 posted

Hi,

Sure. Websites are great for ease of development and rapid demos/development. However in a more professional environment and multi layered architectures it's better to make use of web applications because they follow the same way as the rest of the assemblies in the solution. This creates a more standardized way of working. Also in a website it has give me problems in the past that a non well copied file in the folder with windows explorer already added it to the site while this is not the case for a web application.

Websites also get cluttered up if not properly kept. Actually I like the namespaces better in web applications.

In the end it's all a matter of taste and what you're used to. I started in .NET 1.0 and then we only had the web application. It was only since .NET 2.0 that websites took over but there was so much hassle and demand that Microsoft decided to also include the web application again.

Grz, Kris.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, June 13, 2011 10:59 AM
  • User-330204900 posted

Deployment is far easyer with Web Application project than Website as you have a Publish butt that will do transforms on your web.config see

How to: Transform Web.config When Deploying a Web Application ...

Monday, June 13, 2011 11:05 AM
  • User3866881 posted

Hello:)

To sjnaughton——

A MILLION THANKS for your great help in DD! And I prefer WebApplication.

PS:This doesn't seem to be a question but like a discussion issue, I think you can make it just like a "voting issue" to attract more people to get involved inside! In order to make more get involved inside, I suggest you trying to change the topic as something like "New Dynamic Data Samples At NuGet From sjnaughton Voting".

:)

To XIII——

sjnaughton has a nice suggestion to know about which we like best, this will effect what type he will deploy his proj samples in——So I don't know whether the moderators like you can make his issue to the top of our asp.net forum or make it top in Dynamic Data Field at least to make more people watch and pay attention to this nice topic! I really want to do this, however I've got no such power, and I'm just asking you for your ideas about that.

Thx again:)

PS: Those suggestions are only from me privately instead of from Microsoft wholly. Because I couldn't help talking about the nice thing... Very excited. Thanks for both of your supporting Microsoft's technology and your contributions....

Monday, June 13, 2011 10:45 PM
  • User1043796333 posted

Congrat's sjnaughton you're on top now

My vote goes for WebSite

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 12:41 PM
  • User-330204900 posted

Hi Decker, I don't seem to have the ability to change the title so it will have to stay as is for the moment thaks again.

and the question is about personal preferance both have their value and I still have to build project in both but I do like the web.config transforms they make managing building for the correct are so easy Debug for local IIS, Staging for the Dev Server for client testing and Release for the live deploy it used to be so horrible, but it's sooo good now.

Scott Guthrie explains it all here VS 2010 Web Deployment

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 5:35 PM
  • User-1178114070 posted

I vote for Web Application.

Thanks for providing this.

Jim J

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 11:26 AM
  • User-330204900 posted

sjnaughton I didn't get it: you agree with Kris or with me?

I agree with Kris, I prefer the WAP because I don't litter it with classes etc. I add them to class libraries and keep my WAP site clean and if I do need to add some special classes I create folder to keep them in.

I started out with WAP went to Website and now I have returned to WAP, I especially love Web.Config transforms they make my life really easy.

Thursday, June 16, 2011 12:52 PM
  • User-330204900 posted

Hi Everyone I have an online pole to make this easyer

Do you prefer WAP (Web Application Project) or Website (file based Website)?

Sunday, June 19, 2011 3:49 AM
  • User-330204900 posted

I've just added the start of my Dynamic Data Extensions to NuGet this first version add a Custom MetaModel with HideColumnIn and Filter ordering see More Dynamic Data on NuGet

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 6:33 AM
  • User-330204900 posted

Well the results are in and with a total of 76 votes 75% use and prefer WAP whilst only 25% use Website, so I will do a post or write a PowerShell script to do cleanup when adding template to a file based website.

Sorry for those file based website users but all this takes time, so it wioll be WAP with a clean up script or PowerShell CmdLet.

Monday, June 27, 2011 8:14 AM
  • User-755786234 posted

Hello Damenace, i would like to see your favourite website. Could you pls share with me ..

Friday, April 13, 2012 6:25 AM