SilverArcade.com coming soon RRS feed

• Question

• It's great to see that there is enough interest in Silverlight for game development inside and outside Microsoft to warrant its own forum on silverlight.net. For those that haven't heard already, I have partnered with Client App Dev MVPs Christopher Bennage and Rob Eisenberg to create http://www.SilverArcade.com, a hosted game site in the spirit of Miniclip and Kongregate but for Silverlight games only. We plan on launching by the end of March, and are actively looking for games. We are providing a pay-per-load type model so that game developers can make money by putting their games on our site, and we don't require exclusive rights to the game, so there really isn't much to lose. Please contact me directly for more information.

Also as Tim mentioned, http://www.mashooo.com is another great resource for game developers and I highly recommend you check them out.

Monday, March 9, 2009 2:43 PM

Answers

• We would be interested in the Silverlight 2 version if possible, we can't really go live with Silverligh 3 on a commercial site right now. Send me a private message with your contact info and we can discuss.

I tried the Silverlight 3 version, it hung on me every time I selected new game. It worked great up until then.

Saturday, March 21, 2009 2:37 PM

All replies

• Really great to see that "we" got our own forum in here. I'm really looking forward for this upcoming site and I'm sure it will help Silverlight increase it's browser penetration. The penetration issue seems to be the reason many clients(customers) doesn't chooses silverlight over flash. So when we get silverlight above 50+% I think we will really see Silverlight move fast, and this site could very well be a big part of this.

Tuesday, March 10, 2009 8:27 AM
  • I honestly do not believe that lack of Silverlight penetration is any kind of significant barrier at all.

It will probably take just a few particular standout pieces of compelling content. That content will end up driving Silverlight penetration, versus deep Silverlight penetration somehow eventually getting developers to make content. Someone will make just one or two must-see, must-try, must-have games that all their friends will be talking about and all those internet articles will be writing about. Unless they're one of those people that have decided that they're going to hate anything Microsoft no matter what, they're going to install the plugin just to experience the content.

I sure didn't rush out to buy an X-Box just to say I have one. Eventually, I visited a friend that had an X-Box. But I still didn't rush out to buy an X-Box--what I went out to buy was Halo. "Content is king", as some of the big game developer/publishers say.

If Microsoft wants Silverlight adoption, all they have to do is continue making sure us developers are able to make the Silverlight equivalent of Halo. In fact, maybe they should make absolutely sure that happens, the same way they did for X-Box. Maybe they should start up a game studio to make a couple AAA Silverlight titles that everybody just has to go try. I actually think they're doing pretty good already though. The tools and the API really kick butt, and with what I hear about coming in Silverlight 3, it's just getting better.

Content will drive penetration, not the other way around. Just make a really good game. If yours doesn't make people want to install a plugin, somebody else's soon will.

--dclark

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 12:46 AM
  • I honestly do not believe that lack of Silverlight penetration is any kind of significant barrier at all.

It will probably take just a few particular standout pieces of compelling content. That content will end up driving Silverlight penetration, versus deep Silverlight penetration somehow eventually getting developers to make content. Someone will make just one or two must-see, must-try, must-have games that all their friends will be talking about and all those internet articles will be writing about. Unless they're one of those people that have decided that they're going to hate anything Microsoft no matter what, they're going to install the plugin just to experience the content.

I sure didn't rush out to buy an X-Box just to say I have one. Eventually, I visited a friend that had an X-Box. But I still didn't rush out to buy an X-Box--what I went out to buy was Halo. "Content is king", as some of the big game developer/publishers say.

If Microsoft wants Silverlight adoption, all they have to do is continue making sure us developers are able to make the Silverlight equivalent of Halo. In fact, maybe they should make absolutely sure that happens, the same way they did for X-Box. Maybe they should start up a game studio to make a couple AAA Silverlight titles that everybody just has to go try. I actually think they're doing pretty good already though. The tools and the API really kick butt, and with what I hear about coming in Silverlight 3, it's just getting better.

Content will drive penetration, not the other way around. Just make a really good game. If yours doesn't make people want to install a plugin, somebody else's soon will.

--dclark

Well written, and very correct. All I'm saying is that for the client I'm working for, penetration is the THE issue.
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 2:15 AM
  • Oh right--paying clients. I'm just thinking of the many internet-marketed games that didn't even have to browser-based advantage in the first place. Think of all those match-3 clicky gem games, games like Diner Dash, and Fate, they all required downloads but still managed to be fantastically successful.

But yeah, advertising clients in particular simply cannot let anything like an additional download or installation come between the viewers and an ad or advergame. So sure, penetration is still THE issue for many cases. Without penetration, it might be a while before there's many people able to make a living with contracts or jobs to do Silverlight development in the same way that many are able to do as Flash developers today.

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 8:22 AM
  • But the day will come, where you can live by only working with Silverlight, thats for sure :) There are ALOT fo flash companies out there and if there is a market for flash companies, why shouldn't there be for Silverlight? If you look at big enterprises, they typically have a "Microsoft" policy, which means they only use Microsoft products af far as possible. If they can have their RIA on their websites made in a Microsoft technology too, why not do that? :)
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 8:43 AM
  • Well I forgot to say that I'm excited about Silver Arcade coming soon. So uh, I'm excited about it. There, said it. It's making me want to finish my quizzes and start that game I think I've decided on.

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 11:05 PM
  • It's very encouraging to see these types of game portals and contests for Silverlight. I'm looking forward to seeing what you've done with SilverArcade.com Bill! I think just about everyone on these forums realizes SL gaming is on the verge of exploding. Very exciting stuff indeed!

<tangent>
    For me personally, the contests are bittersweet. I'm developing an ambitious SL game (the link in my sig) that is not easily portable, i.e. it has dependencies on WCF, SQL Server, and dynamic assembly loading. This architecture allows the game to scale out very nicely, but ironically it also disqualifies it from most contests and game portals. For those contests which DO allow someone to self-host, it's almost certain they'll have to plaster ad rotators all over the place.

It is my hope that game portals evolve to accommodate the less portable projects at some point, else I'll never stand a chance :)
    </tangent>

Saturday, March 21, 2009 4:59 AM
  • I am not a real game developer myself, I only developed a 3D racing game (Space Racer) and a puzzle game (BrainWash) in my childhood. I focus more my work on emulators, game porting and game engines in Silverlight.

Will SilverArcade accept public domain games, shareware or demo versions of commercial games (Quake, Monkey Island to name a few)?

Seeing someone used Adobe Alchemy to cross-port Doom in Flash 10 (http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/470460), do you think this is interesting to see similar work online with Silverlight?

Saturday, March 21, 2009 6:27 AM
  • Julien,

As long as there are no intellectual property or copyright violations we would be open to it. I think the ports are very interesting and anything that increases the number of good games in Silverlight is a good thing.

Saturday, March 21, 2009 11:10 AM
  • Thanks for your interest.

To my knowledge, the source code of Quake is GPL but not the game data that remains copyrighted to id Software. Now the shareware distribution of Quake is freely redistributable and usable.

So if I am not wrong, Quake in Silverlight (with the shareware .pak file) could be available on SilverArcade provided the source code is released with it.

Btw, did you try the demo?

Saturday, March 21, 2009 2:30 PM
  • We would be interested in the Silverlight 2 version if possible, we can't really go live with Silverligh 3 on a commercial site right now. Send me a private message with your contact info and we can discuss.

I tried the Silverlight 3 version, it hung on me every time I selected new game. It worked great up until then.

Saturday, March 21, 2009 2:37 PM
  • I sent you a private message with my contact information.

For the new game issue, I already explain in another post. The whole Quake C interpreter is up and running but the 3D world is not rendered properly. This requires a lot of debugging to understand what's going wrong. Other than that, I am not far from getting the game to be playable.

Saturday, March 21, 2009 3:27 PM
  • Seems like the doors to http://silverarcade.com has been opened! Congrats Bill + Team + Game Devs :)
    Monday, April 20, 2009 8:01 AM
  • Congrats for the grand opening!

This looks very promising. Keep up the good work!

Monday, April 20, 2009 4:51 PM
  • Thanks we're pretty excited and have a lot of plans going forward to make it even better.

Bill

Monday, April 20, 2009 4:57 PM
  • Hi Bill,

Congratulations on the new site. It's good to see another new Silverlight gaming site.

Good luck!

Wednesday, April 22, 2009 4:32 PM