locked
There was an error when loading the system settings for the selected Master Data Services database RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi All,

    I have an issue with an MDS implementation where suddenly I am unable to browse the MDS website. I get a "Service Unavailable http 503" error.

    I went into Master Data Services configuration manager and tried to selected my MDS Database in the database section but I received the following error:

    "There was an error when loading the system settings for the selected Master Data Services database"

    And none of the information is displayed. I have another MDS database in the same SQL instance and I can view settings for this successfully.

    I have checked in SQL Management Studio and the MDS DB in question appears to be online and accessible. I can access tables, select from views etc so I'm hoping it's not a big issue.

    Does anyone have any idea what causes this and how to resolve?

    Many thanks in advance.

    Phil

    Thursday, September 3, 2015 10:28 AM

Answers

  • Hi Charlie,

    Thanks for your help but I have actually managed to resolve this in the meantime :)

    For anyone who may also run into this:

    I noticed a lot of errors in my SQL error log as follows:

    The activated proc '[mdm].[udpNotificationQueueActivate]' running on queue 'ReferenceData_Database.mdm.microsoft/mdm/queue/notification' output the following:  'The database owner SID recorded in the master database differs from the database owner SID recorded in database 'ReferenceData_Database'. You should correct this situation by resetting the owner of database 'ReferenceData_Database' using the ALTER AUTHORIZATION statement.'

    The fix was to run the following statements to re-set the owner of the 2 databases as the correct SA owner:
    ALTER AUTHORIZATION ON DATABASE::ReferenceData_Database TO [sa]

    It's a strange issue and may be because we have our MDS database hosted in a high availability group. But after re-setting the owner to SA (It already showed as SA) this issue was resolved!

    Friday, September 4, 2015 3:24 PM

All replies

  • Hi Phil,

    Thank you for your question. 

    I am trying to involve someone more familiar with this topic for a further look at this issue. Sometime delay might be expected from the job transferring. Your patience is greatly appreciated.

    Thank you for your understanding and support.

    Regards,


    Charlie Liao
    TechNet Community Support

    Friday, September 4, 2015 9:54 AM
  • Hi Charlie,

    Thanks for your help but I have actually managed to resolve this in the meantime :)

    For anyone who may also run into this:

    I noticed a lot of errors in my SQL error log as follows:

    The activated proc '[mdm].[udpNotificationQueueActivate]' running on queue 'ReferenceData_Database.mdm.microsoft/mdm/queue/notification' output the following:  'The database owner SID recorded in the master database differs from the database owner SID recorded in database 'ReferenceData_Database'. You should correct this situation by resetting the owner of database 'ReferenceData_Database' using the ALTER AUTHORIZATION statement.'

    The fix was to run the following statements to re-set the owner of the 2 databases as the correct SA owner:
    ALTER AUTHORIZATION ON DATABASE::ReferenceData_Database TO [sa]

    It's a strange issue and may be because we have our MDS database hosted in a high availability group. But after re-setting the owner to SA (It already showed as SA) this issue was resolved!

    Friday, September 4, 2015 3:24 PM