none
There is a error: "Load Behavior: Not loaded. A runtime error occurred during the loading of the COM Add-in." when non-admin user loads Outlook 2007 add-in. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have developed an Outlook 2007 add-in and targeting .NET Framework 4.0. I have created a installer for it. And I have script to deploying my VSTO add-in to All users. My deployment script created registry key to HKCU for all users. (See this link)

I installed .NET Framework 4.0, VSTO 2010 and Outlook 2007 SP3 on my test lab (Windows 2003 SP2).

I login as a local admin user on the test lab and install the add-in. The add-in works well. I can enable and disable the add-in on Tools->Trust Center->Add-ins.

I login as a non-admin user on the test lab. I can see the add-in in the list. But I see an error "Load Behavior: Not loaded. A runtime error occurred during the loading of the COM Add-in." and I can't enable the add-in.

Does anyone has idea what's wrong?

• Edited by Ray Li Monday, August 6, 2012 9:00 AM
    Monday, August 6, 2012 8:39 AM

Answers

• this is a general error description - usually it means that your startup event blown up with uncaught exception and outlook disabled it. Add try/catch clause in that event handler and some logging to determine what might went wrong. Also, if you target 2007 SP3 there is no need to install to every HKCU - install add-in once under HKLM and it will be available to all users.
    • Marked as answer by Ray Li Wednesday, August 8, 2012 5:26 AM
    Monday, August 6, 2012 9:10 AM

All replies

• this is a general error description - usually it means that your startup event blown up with uncaught exception and outlook disabled it. Add try/catch clause in that event handler and some logging to determine what might went wrong. Also, if you target 2007 SP3 there is no need to install to every HKCU - install add-in once under HKLM and it will be available to all users.
    • Marked as answer by Ray Li Wednesday, August 8, 2012 5:26 AM
    Monday, August 6, 2012 9:10 AM
  • I need to compatible Outlook 2007 RTM. So install to every HKCU.
    Monday, August 6, 2012 9:43 AM
  • ok, so just check your startup routine.
    Monday, August 6, 2012 9:46 AM
  • Yes. There is an uncaught exception on startup event. I solved the issue.
    Thank you, DamianD.
    Wednesday, August 8, 2012 5:25 AM