none
About InstallOSVersionCheck in Windows 7 logo test RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, All:

I have a problem in the Windows 7 logo test. From the Logo Toolkit Users Guide - 13 Aug 2009 - Version 010.docx in the Logo 
    Toolkit - Beta 2, the task of InstallOSVersionCheck should be executed in the phase of PostInstall, but in my Logo test, it is always
    executed in the phase of PreInstall, so in the final test report, it will always show that "Test case: Perform version checking properly at runtime.: FAIL".
    I was confused if I get the right version of the Logo Toolkit - Beta 2.

I will be appreciate if I can get help from you, thanks.

Wednesday, September 9, 2009 7:31 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Here are few suggestions which you may like to try out to fix the issue of test case 5 failure:

·         Generally, applications should not perform operating system version checks. If an application needs a specific feature, it is preferable to try to find the feature, and fail only if the needed feature is missing. At a minimum, applications should always accept version numbers greater than or equal to the lowest supported version of the operating system. Exceptions should occur only if there is a specific legal, business, or system-component requirement.

·         The internal version number for Windows 7 is 6.1. The GetVersion function should be used to get OS version which will now return this version number to applications when queried.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Saroj

• Proposed as answer by Saroj Thakur Monday, September 14, 2009 5:28 PM
    • Marked as answer by alexforgoal Tuesday, September 22, 2009 3:37 AM
    Monday, September 14, 2009 5:27 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your post. I hope you have downloaded the beta 2 toolkit from  https://connect.microsoft.com/Downloads/DownloadDetails.aspx?SiteID=831&DownloadID=19072&wa=wsignin1.0 .

Here are some suggestions to fix the issue of Test Case 5 failure:

·         Application Verifier should be installed before starting the Win 7 logo testing.

·         As per the Windows 7 Client Software Logo Program t "Application installations must not perform version checks for equality (== 5.1). If you need a specific feature, check whether the feature itself is available. If you need Windows XP, check for Windows XP or later (>= 5.1), this way, your detection code will continue to work on future versions of Windows. Driver installers and uninstall modules should never check the OS version. "

Below are the steps to perform a proper test:

1.    Run WSLK (Make sure Application Verifier installed on test machine)

2.    Preinstall (from UI)

3.    Switch user to login as logouser

4.    Start 'Multi-user Session Server' from WSLK (you can see it through Start menu)

5.    Switch back to your user where you started WSLK

6.    Install app (Manually)

7.    Verify that the application installed properly – check the name from ARP

8.    Post-install (from UI)

9.    Run the app

10.  Pre-uninstall (from UI)

11.  Switch to logouser again

12.  Close 'Multi-user Session Server' Windows and any other open Windows

13.  Switch back

14.  Uninstall (Manually)

15.  Post-uninstall (from UI)

16.  Select your application from the UI.

17.  Apply for waiver from the UI (in case of any failure)

18.  Create report (from UI)

On an additional note:

Official submission for the “Compatible for Windows 7 Logo” requires validation results produced by the 64-bit version of the logo toolkit. Submission packages created by the 32-bit version of the toolkit will not be accepted, please consult the "Windows 7 Client Software Logo Requirements" for more information.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Saroj

• Proposed as answer by Saroj Thakur Wednesday, September 9, 2009 5:42 PM
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 5:41 PM
  • Hi, 

Many many thanks for replying my question, I think I got the root cause, that is 
    I didn't install the Application verifier before doing the Win 7 logo test.

Thanks.
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 6:10 AM
  • Dear Saroj,

We have a Visual basic 6 application and we are getting the above error when we tested on Win 7 64 bit.  "Multi User session test" failure was resolved after starting Multi User session Server but Test case 5 is getting failed. BTW, App verifier is installed.

Thanks,
    Devaraj
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 9:37 AM
  • Hi,

Here are few suggestions which you may like to try out to fix the issue of test case 5 failure:

·         Generally, applications should not perform operating system version checks. If an application needs a specific feature, it is preferable to try to find the feature, and fail only if the needed feature is missing. At a minimum, applications should always accept version numbers greater than or equal to the lowest supported version of the operating system. Exceptions should occur only if there is a specific legal, business, or system-component requirement.

·         The internal version number for Windows 7 is 6.1. The GetVersion function should be used to get OS version which will now return this version number to applications when queried.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Saroj

• Proposed as answer by Saroj Thakur Monday, September 14, 2009 5:28 PM
    • Marked as answer by alexforgoal Tuesday, September 22, 2009 3:37 AM
    Monday, September 14, 2009 5:27 PM