$(WindowsSDK_IncludePath) broken in vs 2015 for existing 2015 vc project moved from Win7 64 bit RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a vc++ console application compiling ok under win7 64 bit using vs 2015. I tried to get the project in win10 to compile with the same vc 2015. When I try to compile, I get this error: "cannot open include file: 'SDKdDKVer.h.

I checked the include directory and they show $(WindowsSDK_IncludePath) in the include files. However when I check this macro ($(WindowsSDK_IncludePath)) something is wrong because it does NOT exists! In fact many 'WindowsSDK_XX' macros are not present!

At first I thought that it is something wrong with my installation, but I am able to create a console vc++ ok. In fact in that case the macro $(WindowsSDK_IncludePath) has all the correct values! So somehow this marco is set specific to each project, or its global value is overwritten by something local (what?).

Does anybody know why is this macro missing ONLY for this project moved from a Win7 64 bit computer? The compiler is the same (vs 2015 RC) at the same level.

Thanks,

G.

Sunday, June 7, 2015 12:39 AM

Answers

• Hi,

In the end I just added all the required include dirs in one of the projects, and it compiled OK. This is not THE solution, but at least I proved that one of our libraries can compile on Win10.

Thanks to anybody who helped,

G

• Marked as answer by GT227 Monday, June 8, 2015 3:13 AM
    Monday, June 8, 2015 3:08 AM

All replies

• I don't know if it's the same problem as your but when I try to created a VC project in VS2015RC on Win10 I get the same SDKDDKVer.h error. In my case the solution is to change Target Platform Version from 10.0.10069.0 to 10.0.10030.0 (the Target Platform Version property can be found in Project Properties, Configuration Properties, General).
    Sunday, June 7, 2015 4:53 AM
  • Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately it still does not work! On Win10 I am on build 10130. Now that I manually changed the 'General' property as you suggested, I get some other errors like 'winsock2.h' not found. I have to check to see if in Win10 this header is still there or they reversed to plain winsock.h?!

Thanks again,

G.

Sunday, June 7, 2015 1:36 PM
  • "I get some other errors like 'winsock2.h' not found. I have to check to see if in Win10 this header is still there or they reversed to plain winsock.h?!"

I have winsock2.h in C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Include\10.0.10030.0\um

Sunday, June 7, 2015 1:51 PM
  • I just checked and I do not have the Windows Kit 10030.0. I am now trying to 'Repair' VC and see if it is added.

<myOpinion>

The way this goes, it seems to me that MS again, paid very little attention to their corporate clients (big code bases in C/C++).

For 10 years since 2000 (or whatever), MS told everybody that C++ is dead and the future is that crap called .net/Visual basic. A few years back they seem to change their tune. They created the WinRT API but still with the VB/C# mindset. If they think that they will conquer with .net/C#, the iOS and Android ecosystems, they delude themselves... Their best hope is the C++ corporate clients and they are ignoring them/us regularly...

</myOpinion>

G.

Sunday, June 7, 2015 2:03 PM
  • "I just checked and I do not have the Windows Kit 10030.0. I am now trying to 'Repair' VC and see if it is added. "

Have you also checked "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Include\10.0.10069.0\um"? There's something fishy going on with the Win10 SDK, I think it's supposed to be installed by VS2015 but AFAIR I installed it manually and I ended up with the 10030.0 thing.

"The way this goes, it seems to me that MS again, paid very little attention to their corporate clients (big code bases in C/C++)."

Well, it's your opinion but I don't see what it has to do with the problem. May I remind you that you're running preview software (VS2015 RC) on top of preview software (Win10) using another piece of preview software (Win10 SDK)?

Sunday, June 7, 2015 2:29 PM
  • <<<Well, it's your opinion but I don't see what it has to do with the problem.

It has! Both VC 2015 and Win10 are going to be released in the next 2 months. In fact MS will probably make ready the RTM versions of both, at the beginning of July. So, while I am running preview software, it is very close to the final thing isn't it?

Here is the deal: if things do not change, some of our developers will want to just try Win10 when released. So they will get a fresh new copy of the code from our repository and just try to compile it. AT that point, these things will show up... And these issues are more frustrating because we know that our code base can compile ok with VC 2015 (yes RC!) on Win7 64 bit!

Anyway all these aside, I will try the link for the SDK, thanks.

Regards,

G

Sunday, June 7, 2015 2:47 PM
  • FYI I did a quick test here and installing the SDK solves my own problem, I no longer need to switch from 10069 to 10030. Probably last time when I installed the SDK I got an older version. The winsock2.h is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Include\10.0.10069.0\um as it should.
    Sunday, June 7, 2015 3:13 PM
  • I just try to run manually the sdk but:

1. when I tried it, first it said that all is ok on my computer. However it gave me the option to download it manually so I did.

2. When I tried to run it gave me this message:

It seems that the version 10.0.10069 is the only one I can install with the link, and as it is already there, nothing can be done!

G

Sunday, June 7, 2015 5:58 PM
  • Try uninstalling the existing SDK first. On my machine the situation was slightly different, in Programs and Features the 10069 SDK was listed but there was no trace of it in Program Files, all SDK files were 10030. Fortunately for me the SDK installer didn't claim that it is already installed and worked just fine.
    Sunday, June 7, 2015 7:01 PM
  • Hi,

In the end I just added all the required include dirs in one of the projects, and it compiled OK. This is not THE solution, but at least I proved that one of our libraries can compile on Win10.

Thanks to anybody who helped,

G

• Marked as answer by GT227 Monday, June 8, 2015 3:13 AM
    Monday, June 8, 2015 3:08 AM