How to display hyperlink on a webpage after I have constructed a new xxx.html page RRS feed

• Question

• My website was originally designed in FrontPage 2003. When I added a page (xxx.htm) I would then add that to the navigation view and a hyperlink to that page would appear on the web page. Now using EW4 to edit webpage. How do I get the hyperlink for my new page to appear on the website since there is no "navigation view" tree I can add the page to?

bob
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 5:43 PM

All replies

• You add it yourself, either by typing it in (e.g. http://www.google.com, or contactus.html if the page is internal to the site and at the same level as the referencing page), or by selecting Insert|Hyperlink from the menu.

BTW, this question is Webdev 101, and you would be best advised to check out the many resources for transitioning from FP, which held your hand and shielded you from having to know HTML, which is not the case with EW. Creating links is perhaps the most fundamental of Web development processes, and that you don't know how to do so indicates a profound lack of knowledge. You really should check out the Learning Resources section of the BEFORE POSTING thread and apply yourself to a little study.

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 5:55 PM
  • Bob:

What you need is a DWT--a standard feature of all EW templates. Everything that goes on ALL pages is included in the DWT. Then you create new pages from the DWT. After you create a new page, add its link to the DWT and all other pages get updated when you save it. Of course, you can create your own DWTs; you don't need to use EW's.

Open an EW template and experiment with them.

Take Cheryl's tutorial at by-expression.com (linked above in the BEFORE POSTING thread). I bet she covers that.

February 2--Groundhog Day--the day we celebrate the invention of sausage.
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 6:52 PM
  • Bill,

Thanks for the response. I do have a couple of DWT's that I created.  In this case, though, I'm trying to add a page to the site that is accessed from another page (see www.midland-tractor.com/usedquipment.htm).  Once you click on an image on the main page, it takes you to another page that has an "UP" navigation button to get you back to the original page.  On the main page, all hyperlink page names are displayed on the left side margin. The hyperlink I'm trying to add is specific to that single main page, not all pages in the site.

BTW, I have read help topics on this, but I still can't get it to work.  I do appreciate your time, and that of others, in helping us through the transition. 

bob
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 7:22 PM