Excel error message: 'You cannot open two documents with the same name' RRS feed

• Question

• I am using a very old PC with Windows XP Home ver 5.1.2600 serv.pk. 3. I have an old version of Excel, '97. My problem is whenever I open a file from the folders or desktop etc., I receive the error message below. This does not happen if I first open the program itself and open the file from programs menu (Alt-File/Open...).

"A document with the name ‘… .xls’ is already open. You cannot open two documents with the same name, even if the documents are in different folders.

To open the second document, either close the document that’s currently open, or rename one of the documents."

I'm not a programmer and am by those standards probably illiterate, but I have a feeling this problem has something to do with how my users are setup, although I can't find the issue. This is a hand-me-down PC from my folks, so I'm not sure what they did prior to my getting it.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 7:13 PM

All replies

• This forum is for help in software programming. Try the excel forums on answers.microsoft.com.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011 10:31 PM