none
Json error when viewing/edit a record RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm facing the json error when trying to view or edit a record in a list, the json error that happens when you have lookups linked with very huge lists.

I found the configuration on web.config to change the maxlength for the serialization, but I already set to 5000000000 on the webconfig of the web and the central administration and had no result (is there other web.config that I should use, even when taxonomy is not involved?)

Is there other workaround for this?

Even if I reduce the fields on the view, the View and Edit button still doesn't work, if I'm not mistaken they get all the views, not only the ones included in the view. I'm able to edit in place on the view, but having to create a custom view to edit in place and have no option to use the View or Edit button is terrible.

Thank you!

Dennes

• Edited by Dennes Tuesday, February 12, 2019 9:11 AM
    Monday, February 11, 2019 11:27 PM

All replies

• Hi Dennes,

Have you created the list view which sorting by people or lookup columns? Try to use another browser like Chrome and Firefox to compare the results.

Seems that you have a large list(with large list items or many columns?). And you cannot use the View or Edit button directly.

We can store up to 30 million items in a SharePoint list. However, when a list view shows more than 5000 items, the performance may be affected. This time, we need to use some method to manage your large list. You can refer to below article if you want to learn more about manage large list:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/manage-large-lists-and-libraries-in-sharepoint-b8588dae-9387-48c2-9248-c24122f07c59

Note: Creating new view by reducing the fields will not solve your issue.

Best regards,

Allen Bai

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 8:56 AM
  • Hi,

The list is ok, the problem is when viewing or editing a single item, the JSON error.

There are lookup columns pointing to huge lists. Two of the lookup columns, for example, points to a list with 24k+ items. This is throwing the JSON serialization error from the server, it's not a browser problem.

I included the fix on two web.configs. Is there any other fix I should try? The error message doesn't say the configured value or the size of the string the server was trying to serialize.

Thank you!

Dennes

• Edited by Dennes Tuesday, February 12, 2019 9:12 AM
    Tuesday, February 12, 2019 9:11 AM