Need data contracts - people, tasks, schedule

General discussion

• I like the concept of having a contract to extend the Metro OS with search and share.  I would love to see Microsoft take this to the next level and allow for data contracts as well.  For example, could you imagine what Windows 8 would be like if we had a data contract for people, tasks, or schedule?  For people, applications like Outlook and CRM could both extend people in addition to social applications like socialite.  This would be in line with how the phone handles people and would represent a much more productive and useful interface at the OS level for critical data.  The same model could be used with tasks and schedule.  I think this would be amazing and would complete the transition where we can stop thinking about running apps and focus more on the data we are managing with our computing environment.

What do you think of this concept?

Shan McArthur www.shanmcarthur.net Check out the commercial edition of xRM portals @ www.adxstudio.com
    Friday, September 23, 2011 12:51 AM

All replies

• On a corporate level Active Directory could be tied in to the search, as well as Lync

Sunday, September 25, 2011 3:25 AM
  • Hi Shan,

Data transfer in Share is done using DataPackage.  DataPackage supports  custom data formats and would be able to support these scenarios so long as the user has a Share application that understands the format.  You can learn more about it here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/windows.applicationmodel.datatransfer.datapackage(v=VS.85).aspx

This talk by Billie Sue Chafins and Steve Seixeiro mentions this: http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/BUILD/BUILD2011/APP-405T

Thanks for being active in the forums.  

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 5:47 PM
  • No, that is not what I am talking about.  An example might help.  Let's focus in on the 'Person' data contract.  If Windows had this, we could have Outlook, Facebook, and CRM all sharing this contract so that when you search for a 'person', you can find it in any of the applications.  Stated another way - this is how Windows Phone 7 works, only we cannot extend 'people' to custom applications (yet).
    Shan McArthur www.shanmcarthur.net Check out the commercial edition of xRM portals @ www.adxstudio.com
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 6:28 PM