none
content.mso files cleanup RRS feed

• Question

• I have a project with a PowerPoint presentation where we are continuously updating the pictures of multiple picture shapes on a slide, every few seconds a new updated image.

That works fine but it generates temp files at C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Content.MSO

Every 10 seconds, I get some 40 new temp files because I have 40 pictures frames on my slides.

When I close the presentation, then all temp files are cleaned up. But it is the intention to leave this slideshow running forever. So the system becomes slow since the HD is running out and too many files in the folder. 

So I'm looking 

a) to avoid having those temp files

b) when it cannot be avoided, then how to clean up? Deletion by background process is not possible, since the all remain in use till the slideshow and presentation is ended.

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 11:26 AM

Answers

• Thanks Terry, you delivered the answer!

That example is using the picture fill code like

_Shape.Fill.UserPicture(NewValue)

while this program was using the linkformat.

_Shape.LinkFormat.SourceFullName = NewValue

Turns out the that linkformat option is causing to generate the temp files, while fill.userpicture is not!

Thanks for your reaction. Great to have some kind of second opinion:-)

• Proposed as answer by Terry Xu - MSFT Friday, January 12, 2018 1:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by Kurt Dupont Friday, January 12, 2018 7:48 AM
    Thursday, January 11, 2018 12:25 PM

All replies

• Hello Kurt Dupont,

What did you do in your project? I note you have ever posted a thread about continuously updating the pictures, I tried to test latest code in the thread. I run the project for one hour and there is only few temp files generated.

It seems that you have updated your project, would you please share a latest simply project so we could use it to try to reproduce your issue?

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 11, 2018 3:12 AM
  • Thanks Terry, you delivered the answer!

That example is using the picture fill code like

_Shape.Fill.UserPicture(NewValue)

while this program was using the linkformat.

_Shape.LinkFormat.SourceFullName = NewValue

Turns out the that linkformat option is causing to generate the temp files, while fill.userpicture is not!

Thanks for your reaction. Great to have some kind of second opinion:-)

• Proposed as answer by Terry Xu - MSFT Friday, January 12, 2018 1:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by Kurt Dupont Friday, January 12, 2018 7:48 AM
    Thursday, January 11, 2018 12:25 PM
  • Hello Kurt Dupont,

I'm glad to hear that your issue has been resolved. I would suggest you mark helpful reply to close this thread. If you have any other issue, please feel free to post thread to let us know.

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 12, 2018 1:09 AM