Office 2016-Like Help for .NET application RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

How does the Office 2016-Like Help works? How can I add a similar to my C# application?

Thanks,

Jassim

Monday, August 1, 2016 9:18 PM

Answers

• That's precisely what happened. On VS2010 or later, Microsoft removed help support on it's development environment including the VS IDE itself (Because this also made many people in development community dismayed, they produced H3Viewer to provide similar online help experience on VS2010). The even stopped the normination of Help MVP since 2014.

You're recommanded to host help files as webpages, or use any of the 3rd party solutions suggested on the Wiki set up by Help MVPs.

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 7:49 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi Jassim Rahma,

>>How does the Office 2016-Like Help works? How can I add a similar to my C# application?

According to your description, do you want to create Office 2016-like help project and call the help file by using c#, if it is the case. Please add an event handler for a control's HelpRequested event and then use the Help.ShowHelp.

Like this:

private void button1_HelpRequested(object sender, HelpEventArgs hlpevent)
    {
       Help.ShowHelp(this, "helpfile.chm", HelpNavigator.TopicId, "1234");
    }

You could use different HelpNavigator options to show things like the table of contents, etc.

#Create a Help Project

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms524279(v=vs.85).aspx

Best regards,

Cole Wu

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 6:43 AM
  • Note that .chm file is deprecated technology and Microsoft will no longer support it. If you plan to use it on any 64-bit system, be prepared to ship the viewer yourself.

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 7:08 AM
    Answerer
  • but what builders and viewers available for .NET Help project? Because I can't find anything within Visual Studio.
    Tuesday, August 2, 2016 7:36 AM
  • That's precisely what happened. On VS2010 or later, Microsoft removed help support on it's development environment including the VS IDE itself (Because this also made many people in development community dismayed, they produced H3Viewer to provide similar online help experience on VS2010). The even stopped the normination of Help MVP since 2014.

You're recommanded to host help files as webpages, or use any of the 3rd party solutions suggested on the Wiki set up by Help MVPs.

Tuesday, August 2, 2016 7:49 AM
    Answerer