none
'Please enter correct SQL server instance' error - when installing CCF 2009 SP1 X64 version RRS feed

• Question

• I am installing CCF 2009 SP1 X64 version on a Windows 2003 Server SP2 Enterprise Edition. I am running into this blind error 'Please enter correct SQL server instance' even though I enter a correct SQL instance name in the format '<SQL Server>\<Instance name>'. The SQL server is a different machine than the IIS. I found that CCF installation checks for SQL Server 2005 as a pre-requisite check during installation but before it could know that you are planning to install on a different machine. The user account running this installation has appropriate access to SQL Server to create the Databases. The IIS server where I am installing CCF server components does not have SQL Server installed and also no prior CCF installations.

I have tried something where I tried to uncheck the components like CCF Databases, Configuration System Database & Database Tools - so that it would not worry about SQL server instance, but that didn't work.

Could someone help me with this?
    • Edited by SKSR Wednesday, July 22, 2009 7:36 PM correction to title
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 7:32 PM

Answers

• Well, the final answer to end this question seems to be that the user running the CCF installer need to be an 'Administrator' on the SQL server on which the instance is defined.
    • Marked as answer by SKSR Tuesday, September 29, 2009 6:35 PM
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 6:35 PM
  • That's correct and it is a known issue
    You can resolve this by running the installer with an account which has local admin rights on the SQL server. 

You can also do a silent installation
    Example: the script bellow will install the Core components (CC) as well as the Web Services (WS)

"CCF 2009 Installer.exe" /s /v"/lv* C:\Microsoft_CCF_2009.log /qn COMSELECT=1 addlocal=WS,CC WS=3 CC=3 TXTIISSERVERNAME=localhost TXTSQLSERVERNAME=w2k3x86dDDev TXTDOMAINNAME=wOODGROVE ALLUSERS=1 DBUSERACCOUNT=wOODGROVE\Aspuser TXTPASSWORDFORIIS="Pass1word" DBADMINACCOUNT=wOODGROVE\Administrator ISCMDLINE=”1”

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd632589.aspx

Yves

Yves Pitsch
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 4:12 AM

All replies

• I tried few things and could atleast isolate the issue to some extent. I used another SQL server with default instance and it worked. I also strictly selected components to install only the 'CCF Core Services'. This let me go forward with next steps.

I have tried everything from this machine to check on the access to the SQL server instance, which I had trouble getting past the 'Please enter correct SQL server instance name' error. For some reason, while it's doing the check it's unable to identify the instance name - may be it's trust or access.

If Matt / Yves could throw some light on this, it would be really helpful to prevent this issue from happening for any of those running into this.
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 10:42 PM
  • I have used the above solution and installed the web services. Currently, these are accessing a different DB server and everything is good with respect to consuming services and retrieving the data. I am planning to install the CCF databases on a different SQL server and then direct my CCF web services to use this new SQL Server by making changes to the web.config files for these services.

My question is - Are there any hidden or hard-coded SQL server entries other than web.config files that I may run into? Even though I will be testing this solution, just wanted to check if this would create any issues.

Thursday, July 23, 2009 4:30 PM
  • I am revisiting this because it is still causing an issue for me when I am moving upto different environments where I cannot use an alternate server from a diffferent environment. This seems to be a BUG and might be tied to the SQL server version, although the CCF software requirements suggests that it should work with latest service packs of SQL 2005.

During installation when we use the SQL server instance such as 'XXX' that has SQL version of 9.00.1399.06, the installation works fine. However, when we are using SQL instances such as 'YYY\LATESTCCF' with a version of 9.00.4035.00 the installation runs into an 'Please enter correct SQL server instance' error. Both the servers have platform - NT AMD64, and are 64-bit Enterprise edition versions.

Are there any known issues with the CCF installation using different versions of SQL servers? Please let me know if anyone has information regarding this.

Thanks,
    SKSR
    Tuesday, September 8, 2009 8:52 PM
  • I am starting to think if CCF 2009 SP1 would work with SQL instances? Can someone verify this? I am only installing the CCF Core components.
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 7:12 PM
  • I am noticing that CCF 2009 SP1 might be having issues with SQL Server 2005 service packs. It seems to be working fine with base install of SQL 2005 Ent. edition but not with SP3 installed on it.
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 4:22 PM
  • Well, the final answer to end this question seems to be that the user running the CCF installer need to be an 'Administrator' on the SQL server on which the instance is defined.
    • Marked as answer by SKSR Tuesday, September 29, 2009 6:35 PM
    Tuesday, September 29, 2009 6:35 PM
  • That's correct and it is a known issue
    You can resolve this by running the installer with an account which has local admin rights on the SQL server. 

You can also do a silent installation
    Example: the script bellow will install the Core components (CC) as well as the Web Services (WS)

"CCF 2009 Installer.exe" /s /v"/lv* C:\Microsoft_CCF_2009.log /qn COMSELECT=1 addlocal=WS,CC WS=3 CC=3 TXTIISSERVERNAME=localhost TXTSQLSERVERNAME=w2k3x86dDDev TXTDOMAINNAME=wOODGROVE ALLUSERS=1 DBUSERACCOUNT=wOODGROVE\Aspuser TXTPASSWORDFORIIS="Pass1word" DBADMINACCOUNT=wOODGROVE\Administrator ISCMDLINE=”1”

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd632589.aspx

Yves

Yves Pitsch
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 4:12 AM