Why is it so hard to write a setup program for deploying a Windows Mobile App and its prerequisites? RRS feed

• Question

• After a considerable struggle, I have managed to use Visual Studio 2008 to develop a CAB file and ActiveSync Setup program to install my app on a Windows Mobile device.

But now I find that I have a whole lot more hassle to check whether the CAB files for .NET CF 3.5 SP1 and SQL Server Compact 3.5 are installed, and install them if they are not.

How can this be so difficult, when it all happens automatically when the app is deployed in the development environment?

Am I missing something, or is Microsoft just determined to make life difficult for Windows Mobile developers?

Trevor
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 6:24 PM

Answers

• Please check out this article. Also if you use app store I believe you can pick dependencies your app needs.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by ZHE ZHAO Thursday, January 14, 2010 4:28 AM
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 7:17 PM
  • Hi,

There is also a sample in SDK
    C:\Program Files\Windows Mobile 6 SDK\Samples\Common\CPP\Win32\multicabinstall
    The word Doc in this folder may be helpful as well.

Regards,
    Zhe Zhao
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 4:28 AM

All replies

• Please check out this article. Also if you use app store I believe you can pick dependencies your app needs.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 7:17 PM
  • Dear Ilya,

Thanks for the prompt response.

I have used that article and a few similar ones to get as far as I have, but it doesn't cover checking whether the CAB files for .NET CF 3.5 SP1 and SQL Server Compact 3.5 are installed, and installing them if they are not. I am not using the App Store, since this is an application developed for a specific client. The people who will use it need the setup process to be as simple as possible, so I can't expect them to mess around installing the prerequisite CAB files.

I have found this article about how to install multiple CAB files, but I don't understand why this is so much hassle, given that VS2008 does it automatically when I deploy to a Windows Mobile device. If VS2008 can do this, why isn't this ability built into the process of constructing a CAB file? The CAB File Project in VS2008 knows what its dependencies are, so why can't it automatically handle the process of installing prerequisite CAB files?

I can't believe how much time I have wasted trying to figure out how to do what ought to be a straightforward job!

Trevor
    Friday, January 8, 2010 9:31 AM
  • Hi,

There is also a sample in SDK
    C:\Program Files\Windows Mobile 6 SDK\Samples\Common\CPP\Win32\multicabinstall
    The word Doc in this folder may be helpful as well.

Regards,
    Zhe Zhao
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 4:28 AM