none
WCF configuration validation warning: The 'name' attribute is invalid RRS feed

• Question

• Hello again.

I have one of two <service ... statements that is giving me grief.

the error message is as follows ...

WCF configuration validation warning: The 'name' attribute is invalid - The value 'A.B.C.DrillController' is invalid according to its datatype 'serviceNameType'.

Any ideas what might cause this sort of error ?  The namespace and class name are spelled correctly and DO appear in the code. It ain't like I'm missing a file.

I have a second, similar, <service statement and that works just fine even though it, too, consists solely of a single attribute, 'name' which references a namespace and class in my server.

thanks for your help.

Monday, May 11, 2015 11:57 PM

All replies

• Hi Lincoln_MA,

>>WCF configuration validation warning: The 'name' attribute is invalid - The value 'A.B.C.DrillController' is invalid according to its datatype 'serviceNameType'.

Could you please post the WCF service config and the class/namesapce which implements the service in here? In my mind it will be a mismatch between the service name in the code and config file.

Best Regards,
    Amy Peng

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 6:53 AM
  • Good Morning, Amy.

Actually, that problem has been resolved, but I have another. I'd post it on a separate thread (and indeed I've tried three times, but WCF is not one of the forums that appear in the category box (or 'other' box), so the following is the text I WOULD have posted if I'd been given the opportunity ...

Good Morning, Gurus.

Does anyone have experience with the message This service contract is not supported in the WCF
    Test Client. Refer to product documentation for a list of supported features
    .”

The problem is that the message is, at least in my mind, a bit ambiguous. Is the problem with the WCF Test Client, the interface designed in the client DLL, or with my config file ?

Visual Studio seems to have no problem with the config file ... And it certainly wasn't shy about telling me about all my mistakes over the last several days. But I finally got a config file that Visual Studio can live with (one can only hit so many random keys while blindfolded before obtaining a working config file, so it's just a matter of numbers (very LARGE numbers)).

Anyway, there are five services listed that are successful, and the WCF test client can access them and, with the debugger, I can see the arguments being presented to the service.  It is the sixth service that fails.

On the WCF Test Client display, I see two red dots (bearing an 'X') where the first entry is the interface name (with correct endpoint), and the single function that service exposes.    The presence of these two error indications in the one service does not preclude the functionality of the other services/functions.

So, those of you which have battled this bug, please share your experience with me.

Thanks for your help.

Completely Clueless.

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 3:57 PM
  • Hi Lincoln_MA,

Since your first question has been resolved, could you please close this thread and open a new thread for your second question? Or I will help you to split the second question, In this way, it will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well. You can still post your second question in this Windows Communication Foundation, Serialization, and Networking forum.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Amy Peng

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, May 15, 2015 6:12 AM