Error while saving project markup rules file

Question

• I get this error message: Error while saving project markup rules file

When I save languages using the Enable Multilingual Tool Kit after selecting the language.

What can it be?

Lina

Friday, April 27, 2012 5:57 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi  Lina,

so right after you pick some languages in the Add Translation languages dialog you get the error?

What project type are you working with when you get the error?  Does this reproduce with a new project?

much appreciated,

mike

• Marked as answer by LinaM Friday, September 21, 2012 10:07 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by LinaM Friday, September 21, 2012 10:08 PM
    Tuesday, May 01, 2012 9:09 PM
  • The markup rules were removed from the released version of the toolkit.  Please install the Multilingual App Toolkit v1.0 RTW from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/hh848309 and let us know if you have any additional issues.

• Marked as answer by LinaM Friday, September 21, 2012 10:13 PM
    Friday, September 21, 2012 10:04 PM
  • Hi  Lina,

so right after you pick some languages in the Add Translation languages dialog you get the error?

What project type are you working with when you get the error?  Does this reproduce with a new project?

much appreciated,

mike

Yes, that is what happened. Never try it with a new app. I installed the new release.

Thanks a lot!!

Lina

Friday, September 21, 2012 10:10 PM
  • The markup rules were removed from the released version of the toolkit.  Please install the Multilingual App Toolkit v1.0 RTW from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/hh848309 and let us know if you have any additional issues.

This worked perfect on my computer. Thanks a lot

But, I do not know if the toolkit is the one that is crashing my app at the windows store. Do you think I should not use it to try.

I mean, there is no way I can reproduce the error that makes it to crash, because it always works perfect in several machines I have tested.

Lina

Friday, September 21, 2012 10:13 PM
  • I need to better understand the crash conditions.  At what point is the app crashing?  When it is being packaged? After it was submitted to the store?  What project type is the app C#/XAML, etc?

We have not see any crashes directly related the toolkit and the store. However, there are may factor when localizing an app that may cause a crash.  As a first step, I would recommend disabling the Multilingual App Toolkit using the TOOLS menu (You don't need to uninstall the toolkit), clean and rebuild, then redo the steps where you hit the crash.  This will help to identify if the translations or possibility the toolkit is contributing to the crash you are experiencing.  If the crash no longer happens, I would enable the toolkit and add only one language as a test (if you have multiple).  You can exclude any extra XLF files from the project so that the content is preserved, allowing you to include them as a later date.

Friday, September 21, 2012 10:56 PM
  • I need to better understand the crash conditions.  At what point is the app crashing?  When it is being packaged? After it was submitted to the store?  What project type is the app C#/XAML, etc?

We have not see any crashes directly related the toolkit and the store. However, there are may factor when localizing an app that may cause a crash.  As a first step, I would recommend disabling the Multilingual App Toolkit using the TOOLS menu (You don't need to uninstall the toolkit), clean and rebuild, then redo the steps where you hit the crash.  This will help to identify if the translations or possibility the toolkit is contributing to the crash you are experiencing.  If the crash no longer happens, I would enable the toolkit and add only one language as a test (if you have multiple).  You can exclude any extra XLF files from the project so that the content is preserved, allowing you to include them as a later date.

It is a C#/XAML app.

It does crash when in certification step: Content compliance. They say it crashes from the very beginning. They say they can't even try any tile.

At this moment it is in certification again. I change the package for only x86 instead all, to see if it is the hardware.

If it still crashes again, a will disable the toolkit.

Thanks a lot!!

Lina

Friday, September 21, 2012 11:25 PM
  • OK.  I'll keep an eye on this thread. 
    Friday, September 21, 2012 11:28 PM
  • OK.  I'll keep an eye on this thread. 

Thank you. I will let you know what happens

Lina

Friday, September 21, 2012 11:33 PM
  • After submitting it for nth time, this was the answer: This time I uploaded for x86 only.

Your app doesn't meet requirement 3.2.                                                                

Commons reasons why apps fail this requirement:    

•           The app crashes on launch.        
    •           The app crashes randomly or repeatedly.        
    •           The app freezes and the user has to close and restart the app.        
    •           The app requires a Windows component library that the Windows Store doesn't support. To avoid this, make sure your development tools are up-to-date.

Lina

Monday, September 24, 2012 6:31 PM
  • This does not seem like a toolkit related issue.  I'm guess that you're trying to submit now without the additional language support from the toolkit.  Please let me know the results of that.

Monday, September 24, 2012 8:29 PM
  • This does not seem like a toolkit related issue.  I'm guess that you're trying to submit now without the additional language support from the toolkit.  Please let me know the results of that.

Yes, I am submitting as you just said. Without the add language and just for x86.

I will let you know!

Thanks a lot!!

Monday, September 24, 2012 8:48 PM
  • It did fail again.

But, Cameron, I think I found my problem. It is my mistake. I forgot to delete this instruction in the method where I have the options for the app.

LicenseInformation licenseInformation = CurrentAppSimulator.LicenseInformation;

I was trying to have adds, but I couldn't make them work, so I deleted everything but that line. :(

I am sending it again to the store, and I will let you know if it passes, but I am pretty sure it will.

Thanks a lot!!

Thursday, September 27, 2012 1:05 AM
  • I'm glad you found the root cause and I am looking forward to receiving a pass report. :-)  Please let me know if you have any additional issue after re-enabling the Multilingual App toolkit.  When ready, please provide a store link so I can see look up you app :-)

Thursday, September 27, 2012 1:58 PM
  • I'm glad you found the root cause and I am looking forward to receiving a pass report. :-)  Please let me know if you have any additional issue after re-enabling the Multilingual App toolkit.  When ready, please provide a store link so I can see look up you app :-)

Cameron!! It is in the Windows Store!! Thanks a lot!!

http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/app/flash-reading/b8d27b89-0e04-40cd-b92a-e90bed677015

Saturday, September 29, 2012 1:39 PM
  • That's great new.  Thanks for sharing the link as well.
    Monday, October 01, 2012 4:16 PM
  • Just wanted to let you know that a new version of the Multilingual App Toolkit has been released.  The version is v1.1.1075.0 as displayed in the VS IDE Extensions and Updates dialog. 
    Tuesday, November 06, 2012 5:49 PM
  • Thanks a lot Cameron!!

I will update my app!!

Lina

Tuesday, November 06, 2012 6:54 PM