none
aspx menu differences between EW3 & EW4 RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using EW since it came out. I have been using EW3 and thought I'd upgrade to EW4. When I did that the install said I needed .net 4. EW 3 still uses .net 2. I have a site: http://cameotechmgmt.com.

It works fine. I brought the site over into EW 4 and tried previewing it in FF 3.6. The aspx menu is now all messed up. Then I noticed in EW 4 that two current page CSS style sheet entries, one for each aspx menu. Also, I now have a border around a picture used for a link.

I can imagine that the .net change makes a difference in the menu presentation but I have to research that. What makes me suspicious is the "current page" css style sheet entries. Also, my host has .net 2 installed not .net 4. How do I determine what the site is going to look like if EW 4 previews using .net 4?

I use Windows 7 Professional.

Thursday, January 27, 2011 11:56 PM

All replies

• You can always open the site in EW3 and preview it there.

Mind you, I have no idea what would be "messed up" by simply opening the site in EW4.  We can't see what you see.

Friday, January 28, 2011 12:17 AM
  • OK, but what is the deal with the current page css style sheets for asp:menu that show up in EW4 and not in EW 3?

Friday, January 28, 2011 1:12 AM
  • How can I possibly know?  I have no idea what you are seeing.
    Friday, January 28, 2011 2:10 AM
  • As it says in the BEFORE POSTING thread at the top of this forum (item #1):

We need to see the site in action. Give us a link to the site.

Eschew obfuscation.
    Friday, January 28, 2011 2:27 AM
  • Bill, he did give us a link.  He didn't hyperlink it though, so it's easily missed.

It also doesn't look wrong, and doesn't tell us anything about what he's seeing in EW.

Friday, January 28, 2011 2:40 AM
  • Whoopsie! I completely read right past it and didn't see it.

Eschew obfuscation.
    Friday, January 28, 2011 2:36 PM
  • I assume you are talking about the embedded style sheet that the Menu control is using. Those are added to the Menu for 4.0 and they are part of the move to more standards-compliant code. If you browse the same site under ASP.NET 2.0 or 3.5, you won't see that.

Ultimately, you should be testing your site under the same version of the Framework that you're using on the production server. Therefore, in your case, I would test this in IIS and not the Expression Dev Server and configure your application pool in IIS to run under the version of the Framework you need.

Jim Cheshire http://www.jimcobooks.com
    Friday, January 28, 2011 8:57 PM