none
Add custom tab to Printer preferences RRS feed

• Question

• We trying write a virtual printer. Everything is OK, but we can't add custom page/tab/fields to the Printing preferences

Tried Print Spooler API Functions. but couldn't find function / method to add new tab or custom fields to the Printer Preferences. I have tried AddForm() method, but with it you can only add new paper (dimension based) other functions also not useful.

Below image shows how HP has done with it.

emianch

Monday, September 25, 2017 1:24 PM

All replies

• Hi Emin Hasanov,

Thank you for posting here.

What new tab or new fields you want to add?

AddForm() method is used to add a form to the list of available forms that can be selected for the specified printer.

If you want to add new tab or new fields, you could try to customize these components. Please refer to the following links.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/print/customizing-microsoft-s-printer-drivers

Best Regards,

Wendy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 6:57 AM
  • Thanks Wendy Zang

I found this sample app: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/print/sample-ui-plug-in (here is the source)

works successfully only with v4 printer types, not possible with v3 printers (it is mentioned there and could find printerDriverID

Is it possible to call executable (as in this sample) from v3 printer preferences? Could you please explain if its possible

emianch

• Edited by Emin Hasanov Tuesday, September 26, 2017 10:53 AM
    Tuesday, September 26, 2017 10:47 AM
  • Hi Emin Hasanov,

You could try to download from the following link.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/search/en-SG/windows/hardware?query=v3%20printer%20driver&refinement=182#refinementChanges=111&pageNumber=1&showMore=false

Best Regards,

Wendy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 27, 2017 5:42 AM
  • Thank you Wendy Zang,

This documentation doesn't give information about how to deal with custom preferences.

I will try to simplify my question:

1. Is it possible to bypass printer preferences on v3 printers?

2. If yes, should I write new driver for that (change something to bypass this action), or I can use scenario (PrintNotify service and add path to register)?

3. As I know v4 printer driver not working with Windows 7 or WinXP, right? 

emianch

Wednesday, September 27, 2017 9:41 AM
  • Hi Emin Hasanov,

>>1. Is it possible to bypass printer preferences on v3 printers?

2. If yes, should I write new driver for that (change something to bypass this action), or I can use scenario (PrintNotify service and add path to register)?

For these two questions, I am not expert for that and could not give you a certain answer.

>>3. As I know v4 printer driver not working with Windows 7 or WinXP, right? 

Based on my search, starting with Windows Server 2012 / Windows 8 (and newer), Microsoft introduced a new driver model for the printing subsystem called version 4 drivers (V4 printer driver model). 

For more details, you could refer to the following blog.

https://blog.thinprint.com/the-new-microsoft-v4-printer-driver-model/

Best Regards,

Wendy

Note: This response contains a reference to a third-party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. 

Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; Therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there.

There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet. 

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, October 4, 2017 5:05 AM